Empty fuse slot with accessory power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I was looking for a fuse slot with accessory power but noticed slot F101 had the power connectors available and was unused. Most unused slots don't have connectors. This slot is labeled as SPARE and is live. Does anyone else have something different in this slot? Most of the accessories/options I don't have still have their own slots still.

2016 Ram Sport Quad. Leather heated seats/steering wheel. Trailer brake controller. Command start. Rear camera. No park assist. No sunroof. No cooled seats. No air suspension.

I'm wanting to use this to power a 433mhz receiver switch to control my light bar. It uses like 2amps if that. Just curious if anyone knows why an unused slot has power?

IMG_4066.JPGIMG_4067.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

FF1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Where is your lightbar mounted? I have some emergency response lights to mount and a 20" bar.

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I mounted a 42" curved in the lower bumper section

IMG_4112.JPG

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
We just took delivery of a new Laramie and I've been exploring options for running both bat. and acc. power into the cab. My truck has the same "loaded" spare as yours. I would think this would work just fine. BTW, I don't think the fuse listings in the online owner's manual matches the inside cover of the fuse box. There seems to be a couple discrepancies. I trust the fuse box lid. There are also some other "hot" sources in the fuse box. The other way would be to use a fuse tap that would allow two fuses to share one source. One fuse for the original circuit and the other fuse for the added on circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had to crawl up behind the front bumper. Pop all the tabs and pull in backwards into the bumper. It won’t fall out or get past 2 plastic bumper brackets. But there’s enough room to then lay it flat sorta and rotate to slide it right out the front.

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had to crawl up behind the front bumper. Pop all the tabs and pull in backwards into the bumper. It won’t fall out or get past 2 plastic bumper brackets. But there’s enough room to then lay it flat sorta and rotate to slide it right out the front.

Thanks , will order a LED bar then try this!

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was looking for a fuse slot with accessory power but noticed slot F101 had the power connectors available and was unused. Most unused slots don't have connectors. This slot is labeled as SPARE and is live. Does anyone else have something different in this slot? Most of the accessories/options I don't have still have their own slots still.

2016 Ram Sport Quad. Leather heated seats/steering wheel. Trailer brake controller. Command start. Rear camera. No park assist. No sunroof. No cooled seats. No air suspension.

I'm wanting to use this to power a 433mhz receiver switch to control my light bar. It uses like 2amps if that. Just curious if anyone knows why an unused slot has power?

View attachment 90721View attachment 90722

View attachment 90721

View attachment 90722
did you ever figure out if you could use that slot?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
did you ever figure out if you could use that slot?

Been using it since this post. I just put a 1.5 amp fuse inline to power the wireless switch. The switch uses a very small amount of power and just switches another relay to draw power direct from the battery. Never popped the fuse. Would have tried something lower if I could’ve found one.

Still no clue what it’s for.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That might be the rear seat power point option. I know there's a fuse location swap you can do to go from ignition switched or always live.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to use a 2 Amp Fuse, and I'm trying to test it currently and I can't seem to get it to show any voltage through my voltmeter, maybe the as you said it only is working when something else is on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That might be the rear seat power point option. I know there's a fuse location swap you can do to go from ignition switched or always live.

Do you mean the rear power plug or something else?

I’ve never checked if the one on the backside of the console was always live or ignition

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I need to use a 2 Amp Fuse, and I'm trying to test it currently and I can't seem to get it to show any voltage through my voltmeter, maybe the as you said it only is working when something else is on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

For mine the truck has to be in the on position. Just accessory doesn’t activate this plug.

Also I think it’s the side towards the grill that’s “hot”

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For mine the truck has to be in the on position. Just accessory doesn’t activate this plug.

Also I think it’s the side towards the grill that’s “hot”

awesome, yup just tested and that looks like the one I'm going to use thanks.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
how did you route your wire from the fuse out of the fuse box

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
how did you route your wire from the fuse out of the fuse box

I routed it out through where the ground connection is. Didn’t need to cut any holes or compromise the sealed fuse box this way. There was a slit in the plastic wide enough for my wire.

3bfd0a9b9d6300b18d2b40fbf59d5132.jpg

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I routed it out through where the ground connection is. Didn’t need to cut any holes or compromise the sealed fuse box this way. There was a slit in the plastic wide enough for my wire.

3bfd0a9b9d6300b18d2b40fbf59d5132.jpg

Sweet! thx

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you mean the rear power plug or something else?

I’ve never checked if the one on the backside of the console was always live or ignition

The back side of the console. It's ignition switched, but you can swap fuse locations and it becomes live full time. Just not sure which slots they are.

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also. This plug goes active on remote start for anyone that’s curious. My wireless switch is also set to off by default so if my lightbar is on when I shut off the truck. The switch loses power and shuts off the lightbar. When I restart the truck the switch returns to the off position and I must turn the lights back on.

This way it doesn’t drain the battery or accidentally get switched on in the night and blind the neighbours. Seems like a reason to get your windows smashed out.

OP
OP
Whiteannerdy

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The back side of the console. It's ignition switched, but you can swap fuse locations and it becomes live full time. Just not sure which slots they are.

I’d like to find the guide for that. I’m also not thinking this slot is for that because it’s only live when running and if you haven’t done the mod and yours is ignition right now.