Wheelchair bound and have problem with wheelchair lift in trailer 7 pin wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can anyone give me any ideas on how he should trace this out?
Pull that plug out of the back of the plug and check for voltage there, you'll need to turn the running lights and hazards on to check for power at the plug and at the fuses.There has been reports of the socket having bad pins. Be sure to use the ground at the plug and also test the point to something metal on the truck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Went back through this a couple times. Did you actually check each pin on the 7 pin plug with a voltmeter and verified you have a really good ground? Some pins will work with blinker switched on (you can turn emergency blinkers in and test, 2 pins should activate). Another pin will only activate when brakes are pushed. If there is absolutely no power to any pin it has potential to be a bad ground. Try connecting the ground pin of your plug directly to a good ground point and see if that makes any difference.

Good luck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pull that plug out of the back of the plug and check for voltage there, you'll need to turn the running lights and hazards on to check for power at the plug and at the fuses.There has been reports of the socket having bad pins. Be sure to use the ground at the plug and also test the point to something metal on the truck.
I didn't see this post before typing, exactly what I was getting at. Just like always, I am a dollar short and a half hour late.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Here's a visual aid to help. Everyone that tows should have this on their phone unless you've done it enough it is memorized.
7-way.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Success.

My friend came over to help me out. He too was confused so he started at the receptacle and unplugged and plugged everything he could find. He then went to the front and started moving cables around trying to locate the back of the fuse. He said he felt (not heard) a click, I tested the plug and it was hot.

I had him move the cabling around to make sure whatever clicked, stayed clicked. After a few minutes he was satisfied it was not going to come undone. It sounds to me like the small blade these fuses use just snap into place and this one was not snapped completely from the factory.

I had him pull the fuse (circled in photo above) and it went dead and re-plug the fuse and its hot again. I am guessing my situation is the odd one out but coupled with the correct information above would provide an unlikely but possible solution to a dead trailer plug.

Thanks to all that had input, you really had the solution for 999 of 1000 problems like this. You guys really saved my bacon. The power chair will make getting around a lot easier. But you can bet your a$$ I will pick up a couple of those fuses just in case, I could see that being an issue in the future.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is good to read that the chair lift is working as designed

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Success.

My friend came over to help me out. He too was confused so he started at the receptacle and unplugged and plugged everything he could find. He then went to the front and started moving cables around trying to locate the back of the fuse. He said he felt (not heard) a click, I tested the plug and it was hot.

I had him move the cabling around to make sure whatever clicked, stayed clicked. After a few minutes he was satisfied it was not going to come undone. It sounds to me like the small blade these fuses use just snap into place and this one was not snapped completely from the factory.

I had him pull the fuse (circled in photo above) and it went dead and re-plug the fuse and its hot again. I am guessing my situation is the odd one out but coupled with the correct information above would provide an unlikely but possible solution to a dead trailer plug.

Thanks to all that had input, you really had the solution for 999 of 1000 problems like this. You guys really saved my bacon. The power chair will make getting around a lot easier. But you can bet your a$$ I will pick up a couple of those fuses just in case, I could see that being an issue in the future.

Congrats on a successful repair without the stealership involved. :cool:

Just another FYI.

You are very correct about those fuses and the lack of a good locking position.
As a matter of fact, the first direction often provided to those seeking electrical gremlins is to push down firmly on all the fuses in the TIPM.

You might be surprised to hear how often that solution resolves the gremlin issue. :cool:

A standard operating procedure (SOP) for many Ram owners is to at least yearly, push all those fuses in until they seat. They seem to migrate over time.