Front Door Speaker Depth Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I have a chance to pick up some XS69s. However depth is about 3.5" on these beauties. From searching there is conflicting data, however it seems the front door are about 3" deep.

1. Can anyone actually confirm the depth at the center?
2. Is the depth limited by a water shield or anything of that nature?
3. Is there enough clearance for a .5"/.75 spacer to fit and still clear the door panel?

draft6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
When I was installing my speakers in the door, I kept thinking to myself I need to get a picture with a actual measurement so everyone could see for themselves, but alas I forgot. now I do remember there is a good bit of room back there and NO water shield back there. now I do have a 1/4" spacer under mine and they are nowhere even close to the door panel so I couldn't image a 1/2" or even 3/4" wouldn't work. but 3/4" might be pushing it.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Hertz are right at the 3" mark and fit perfectly with a .5in spacer. I did try a .75in spacer but that was to thick to get the door back on. Also depending on the speaker and how it was designed will also allow for a little more depth. The case I am thinking of is Bradknobs Dyns that had a mounting depth of 3.5in, He rebuilt the area they sit in and that plus the ability to straddle the window track is how those fit the way they did.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Give me an hour or so and I can get a measurement. I need to re route a wire anyways. Tried to be slick, dropped the wire inside the door. Have a feeling I will yank it out when I put the window down.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Hertz are right at the 3" mark and fit perfectly with a .5in spacer. I did try a .75in spacer but that was to thick to get the door back on. Also depending on the speaker and how it was designed will also allow for a little more depth. The case I am thinking of is Bradknobs Dyns that had a mounting depth of 3.5in, He rebuilt the area they sit in and that plus the ability to straddle the window track is how those fit the way they did.

Any link to his build?

ADRUM - Thank you.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
So...From the bottom inside of the oem speaker bracket up 3 inches is the backside of the bracket. Like an inverted water shield. In that area you have 1 7/8 depth. From the oem bracket lip to the window track it varies from 2 3/8 to 3 1/8 moving upward. Dead center is 2 3/4 to the window track. There is nearly 1/2 inch of plastic at the "corners" extending from the bracket towards the door card. You should be fine with 1/2 inch spacer depending on your tweeter and top mount stuff. This is in a 2015 rcsb.

Since its off, outside bracket diameter is 6 5/8 x 9 3/4. Inside is 5 3/4 x 8 5/8.

Hope this helps.

Re reading this confuses me. I had to edit a bit. I hope you have better luck.

Last edited:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I cannot confirm or deny whether they fit...it'll be very close. I see two potential problems, the obvious one is depth @ 3.6" but you MIGHT be ok with a .5" spacer. But then problem #2 shows up...excursion @ xmax. If you notice, the surround sticks out from the mounting plate (and that's sitting still) once you send power to them, the surround may come in contact with the inner door panel @ or near xmax and that will destroy the surround over time. The sensitivity is pretty high on these, so they'll start to boogy pretty quick. In essence, the spacer will help with depth, but hurt in cone clearance. It would be awesome if you could test fit these before purchase. For the record, if they fit...Ram owners will be able to run one of the BEST 6x9's on the market. These 6x9's are no joke....they're midbass monsters and they get LOUD.
I hope you're able to get them in.
This configuration would not be the best for sound quality, but if someone ran four of these (one in each door; crew cab) with plety of power....your truck would straight-up BOOGY...probably would not need a sub stage!
good luck!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I didn't look at the speakers until now. Obviously no coax to deal with. The neo magnet makes magnet diameter a non issue. That depth though...I will see if I can't measure some door card clearance with a nail or something safe. Is that 300 watts per side on those?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Okay, hertz 165hv with slightly less than 1/8 spacer yields 1/2 inch to back of door card. This is from the speaker ring not the surround. That gave me just less than 3/8.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what do you think adurm? Do you think they would fit? I also have a chance for brand new JBL 660GTI set for under $350... which is an absolutely steal.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I think the id are going to be really tight. The jbl would likely fit better because you can have your adapter off center to miss the window track. You're obviously sitting on some serious power to be looking at 300 watt speakers. Otherwise I would offer you a set of a couple year old infinity kappa components. They would probably explode.

Have you looked at cdt audio. Never heard them but they look of good quality. I got my hertz and audisons from extremeaudio.de. Translate the page. Great price from Germany. Gotta pay a small duty fee but saved me at least $100.

Fyi, tweets in the dash are not as nice as in the sails come to find out. Let the re tuning begin. Sounds too deep I think.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the id are going to be really tight. The jbl would likely fit better because you can have your adapter off center to miss the window track. You're obviously sitting on some serious power to be looking at 300 watt speakers. Otherwise I would offer you a set of a couple year old infinity kappa components. They would probably explode.

Have you looked at cdt audio. Never heard them but they look of good quality. I got my hertz and audisons from extremeaudio.de. Translate the page. Great price from Germany. Gotta pay a small duty fee but saved me at least $100.

Fyi, tweets in the dash are not as nice as in the sails come to find out. Let the re tuning begin. Sounds too deep I think.

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to pass on these, when I get to it I don't want to hack the truck up.

I appreciate the link, looks like good stuff! However I don't think I will find anything to touch the 660GTIs for under $350.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope I don't think you will either. Andy based his audio frog lineup off of the GTI's and that I believe speaks volumes to that driver.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I gotta clear out my toolbox and see how much cash I can come up with lol. Got several sets of speakers, decks, touchscreens, and accessories to get rid of.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never ending battle right there lol

I just have to find a way to justify the spending to the lady. If I can sell enough stuff to cover the equipment, then its like I never spent any money at all! They never see it that way though.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol right I have the same issue too but still don't sell any of my really nice stuff often.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on my front door, it tried installing these 6x9 Infinity Reference 9633cf.
They have a top-mount depth of 3-1/16"
even with a 1/2" spacer it would not fit as it would hit the door panel and the back bracket as well.
So I put Infinity Reference 6.5" round speakers on the front with the adapters and it fit perfectly.