Need help with audio system installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevelcl9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500, the truck has the base stereo system, not the Infinity system. I have installed an LC8i, 4 interiors, 2 subs, and 3 amps and kept the factory head unit. I have power to the head unit, but NO sound out of the speakers. If I connect a speaker straight to the head unit it does not work, but if I connect it back to the factory wiring it works. I have tried everything, I can't figure out what the problem is. Anybody have any ideas?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK still have factory head unit? With what you are describing it sounds like you don't have the base stereo and there is an OEM amplifier in the truck.

OP
OP
S

stevelcl9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been trying to locate the OEM Amp, but not having any luck. I have googled and made calls and no one can tell me where it is. I am going nuts!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just checking you ran all new wires from amps to speakers and how do you have your three amps set up?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i might be wrong because i haven't paid much attention to the stereo's after m.y. 2011, but if you don't have the apline system you most likely don't have a factory amp to find.

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you may need load resistors on the radio outputs, the radio sees no resistance so it's not outputting wattage when your loc is connected. This is why when you put a speaker on there is sees the ohm load and works.

First guess is that, other wise grab a multi meter and see below
1)Check for 12v on constant and 12v at your remote terminal (amps on)?..
2)Make sure your grounded
3)Make sure you have signal voltage out of your signal cables from your loc...
4) make sure no speakers are grounding out...doing continuity to ground on all leads is important here

Again I think this is prob a load resistor thing, but it could be many other things. check back in and let us know what you've found.

If you measure resistance on your speaker outputs out of the radio and they are under say....16ohm and not bouncing around in the 1k-10k or above then you don't have a amp. A reading in the 2-16 ohms is a tattle tale that your on a speaker....amps will have a much higher resistance.

Good luck :naughty:

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have a very interesting problem. Bkhvst is onto something so follow what he is saying. However, look at the picture attached and make sure your wiring is in accordance with what the diagram is showing. Sorry for the quality of the diagram, the forum only allows me to put up so many bytes.

troutspinner

Attachments

• AUDIO-SYSTEM---BASE.jpg
    AUDIO-SYSTEM---BASE.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 710

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem However I have only 1 amp JBL GTO EZ5 6 new speakers factory head unit,Have had my truck apart and back together 3 times...When I disconnect amp everything works fine ,when I run or try running the amp nothing at all works,also I learned if one speaker is disconnect then the opposite speaker will also not work,its like it has to complete a circuit and if it dont the ft or rear wont work... I am lost,yet I dont want to give up my head unit... I am watching your post and Troutspinners,seems we are all trying to acomplish same thing.... Maybe these brand new 2014 Uconnect radios are different than the years before as to needing something outta the ordinary to make them amp up...:(

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no idea whatsoever load resistors even are???

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you using the rca turn on feature of that amp or using a remote wire?

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See my above post, but a lot of newer dodge/ram/jeep/chrysler radios will not output signal unless it sees resistance on the speaker outputs. Aka a speaker....so you get a resistor and wire it in parallel in each speaker output. Try attaching your speaker to test....

Etrose is asking if you have your amps turning on through signal sense or 12v turn on. Basically asking are the amps on....this is easy to tell by just looking to make sure they are lit up. A multi meter will go a long way here by testing your input/outputs at the amp.

Good luck

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Popjim, this is an excerpt from the manual for your amp.

Note:
If you have connected the GTO-5EZ or GTO-3EZ amplifier to your factory audio system’s speaker outputs, the audio system may show a “speaker disconnected” message, or may fail to play with an amplifier connected to its output. If this happens, set the GTO amplifier’s Input Level switch to the “Hi2” position. The “Hi2” position includes a circuit designed to fool this type of factory system into “seeing” a speaker connected to its output.

Have you tried this?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See my above post, but a lot of newer dodge/ram/jeep/chrysler radios will not output signal unless it sees resistance on the speaker outputs. Aka a speaker....so you get a resistor and wire it in parallel in each speaker output. Try attaching your speaker to test....

Etrose is asking if you have your amps turning on through signal sense or 12v turn on. Basically asking are the amps on....this is easy to tell by just looking to make sure they are lit up. A multi meter will go a long way here by testing your input/outputs at the amp.

Good luck
As you are correct there are many other things to check first before he rewires a third time lol. Troutspinner has it there are a lot of features to theses jbl amps that many people aren't aware of.
Let use know what you find out with the amp and the resistors if you have to go that far bud.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was using the rca turn on feature...
Troutspinner that phrase seemed to escape me beings as though I really had no idea what it meant or that Id need to fool anything....
I will take in more information before attempting this again...you guys are a tremendous help!!!!!!

OP
OP
S

stevelcl9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you may need load resistors on the radio outputs, the radio sees no resistance so it's not outputting wattage when your loc is connected. This is why when you put a speaker on there is sees the ohm load and works.

First guess is that, other wise grab a multi meter and see below
1)Check for 12v on constant and 12v at your remote terminal (amps on)?..
2)Make sure your grounded
3)Make sure you have signal voltage out of your signal cables from your loc...
4) make sure no speakers are grounding out...doing continuity to ground on all leads is important here

Again I think this is prob a load resistor thing, but it could be many other things. check back in and let us know what you've found.

If you measure resistance on your speaker outputs out of the radio and they are under say....16ohm and not bouncing around in the 1k-10k or above then you don't have a amp. A reading in the 2-16 ohms is a tattle tale that your on a speaker....amps will have a much higher resistance.

Good luck :naughty:
ok so here it is. I ohm out all 4 new door speakers and get 3.8 to 3.9 ohms which sounds good being that there 4ohm speakers. I ohm out the wires at lc8i coming from HU and get about 4k ohms. check 12v at amps and lc8i all good. I have 12v at remote in from cigg lighter to lc8i and 10v out feeding all 3 amps. no speakers r grounded out. I tried a 150ohm 1/2 watt resister that some1 told me to do and still no beats.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
10v out feeding all 3 amps

Sounds like you have confirmed what Bkhsvt said about the ohms coming out of the HU, proving there is no amp. What I quoted you on above is raising a flag to me. is the 10V feeding the amps the pre-out voltage from the LC8i? or do you mean to say that your remote power on from the LC8i to the amps is 10 volts.

Both are a concern to me. The LC8i specs say it can put out a maximum 8.5Vrms. If those outs are running at 10v, there could be a problem wit the LC8i. If you mean your turn on signals are 10v, then that could be too low to get them to turn on.

Do any of your amps have high input capability? If so, take the LC8i out of the equation for now for troubleshooting purposes.....maybe that can shed the light on something.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do what trout is saying or try just one amp with the remote turn on as they might not like sharing the turn on signal over three amps specially at 10v.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are your amps turning on? whats the voltage across your amps power and grounds and remote?

instead of using your LC8i to supply the remote turn on to the amps use a relay and have that supply all your amps and the lc8. you use the cig lighter to trip the relay that way you are note putting any load onto the circuit in the truck either.

OP
OP
S

stevelcl9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnected both amps for subs and just wired amp and LC8i for 4 interiors. Have 12v to amp and 12v to remote in on LC8i and amp. Checked volts from head unit to LC8i speaker input, have 5.9v from both ground to positive and ground to negative. Voltage does not change when I turn the volume up or down.