Picking up my 1500 this week. Speaker Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am picking up my 2016 CC with the Alpine system this week. As usual, I will be replacing the cheap paper speakers that come on new vehicles. Can someone with a 2015-2016 tell me what the speaker sizes are and what range are they....ie (full range, tweeters, subs, etc.) From what I can tell from digging through the threads I have noted:

Dash corners and dash center speaker...Full range...Size ???
From Doors...Full range...Size???
Rear Doors...Full Range...Size???
Rear Top Ceiling...Tweeter...Size???
SUB (Is this under a rear seat?) ...Size???

I want to put in quality speakers but will leave the head unit as it is since I am getting navigation.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
all four doors = 6x9
dash = 3.5"
rear tweeters, I don't know
Your Alpine system has an on-board amplifier with processing hardwired into it. What that means to you is that any after market speaker(s) you install will be severely held back when it comes to performance due to the processing in your factory amplifier. No bueno.
This can be resolved with an aftermarket digital sound processor with summing capabilities, but that means more money and more links in the audio chain. Can you install aftermarket speakers anyway? Of course....but you will not get the speaker's full potential.....so, if you don't get a DSP, do not spend too much on speakers cause you will be wasting money and leaving performance on the table

OP
OP
J

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been a while since I delved in the auto audio. Understand the processing by the Alpine Amp/processor...but wouldn't ...signal X from the amp sound much better going though a higher quality speaker rather than the paper one that is stock. I was looking at replacing all speakers with some mid-price Infinity Reference or Polk Audio speakers. These all run <$100 per pair. Since I am retaining the factory head unit and the amp would not dream of installing very high quality speakers.

OP
OP
J

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I picked up my new 2016 today and as expected the Alpine system sounds...ok...the mids and highs just sound very muddy to me. I hope some better speakers will add some crispness and clarity. I am not looking to add some thumping sub that shakes the buildings as I go by. I listen mostly to classic rock.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just stopping in to say there is nothing wrong with paper speakers. There are speakers in the $1000+ range still using paper.

OP: From what I have read, most people seem to be happy with swapping out the dash speakers.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I picked up my new 2016 today and as expected the Alpine system sounds...ok...the mids and highs just sound very muddy to me. I hope some better speakers will add some crispness and clarity. I am not looking to add some thumping sub that shakes the buildings as I go by. I listen mostly to classic rock.

I completely get what you're saying, The Alpine system leaves a lot to be desired....and yes (like adrianp89 has said) I personally think adding some new dash speakers will brighten up the sound a little bit and make it worth your time and dollar.
With that said, every speaker has its own tone....some you may like, some you may think its muddy, too bright, too dull etc....but that speakers sounds the way it does due to it's construction, AND the signal it's trying to replicate. And the signal (a highly processed signal to boot) is what is driving a lot of Ram owners nuts. Also, the eq of the Alpine system changes as the volume knob increases (the processor is cutting certain frequency bands as the volume increases simply to keep the speakers comfortable and not get damaged) AND that is why this Alpine system is a bit wonky....it literally changes in tone during different volume levels. Sorry for the long winded response.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was in the custom audio world for 10+ years. i built competition systems that competed in the USACI circuit (high end great sounding). when i picked up my laramie i was actually surprised on how well it sounded. it does take some tweaking to get it to sound good.

as an FYI the alpine system is designed to play and sound good with the factory alpine speakers. when you start to change out the speakers it will change the sound. some for the good and some for the bad. it will change the different response frequencies. so what you think you might get out of new speakers you actually wont

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
i was in the custom audio world for 10+ years. i built competition systems that competed in the USACI circuit (high end great sounding). when i picked up my laramie i was actually surprised on how well it sounded. it does take some tweaking to get it to sound good.

as an FYI the alpine system is designed to play and sound good with the factory alpine speakers. when you start to change out the speakers it will change the sound. some for the good and some for the bad. it will change the different response frequencies. so what you think you might get out of new speakers you actually wont

You know, I agree...I think the Alpine system sounds pretty good with nice tone. The volume output is laughable and a deal breaker for me, especially on nice days with the windows down...
but yea, I have seen owners bashing their new Focal speakers (and many other manufacturers) complaining about the sound and/or lack of performance not realizing its the processing in their factory amp holding their speakers back.....not the speakers themselves....again, it is a wonky deal

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another one here that is fine with the quality... but not with volume.

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What are your settings for the bass, treble, and midrange? Do you have the surround sound on or off?
I just got my '16 a few days ago and still working on all of the settings for everything.