Placing sub box on platform fold down seat passenger side?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Hey guys, I'm getting a 2017 1500 RAM Night (sport). It is the crew cab with long bed.

I'm wondering if anyone out there either took out the back passenger seat or simply placed a large sub box (for 2 -12s) on the fold out platform when the seat is in the upright position. This seems to take out the back passenger seat and the middle portion as they are connected and still allow room for the back driver's seat to be fine.

My truck is on order, so I had to go to the dealership to kind of scope things out and it seemed like it might work.

I have not yet purchased the subs or speaker box, will do that when the truck gets here, but just curious if anyone has a good setup that I could model off of. I'm really just trying to plan everything out now if I can, while in suspense for months while the truck is being built/shipped. *sigh*

I like the idea of just placing the sub on the platform as it would be great if the sub box can be easily taken out of the truck when I need to haul more people in rare occasions.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The time and energy you spend doing that you could get a good underseat box and have use of your seat whenever and your gear will be hidden from view

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
For two 12's, there are safer, more visual appealing alternatives out there. Like mentioned above, a nice under seat enclosure from Netaudio or fox acoustics etc can get you what you want at a reasonable price. I just don't like big boxes sitting out in the open in the back of these really nice trucks

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
J

Jason Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Okay, thanks guys..... I guess I just assumed those under seat boxes wouldn't have enough space to create the bass I'm looking for.

I'm also curious if the woofer would hit the bottom of the seat. ha ha.. that might be a cool feature. =)

I think it's best if I just be patient, wait for the truck to get here and take it into my local shop and let a pro guide me in the right direction.

This is good, thanks!

Jason

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand the frustration of waiting for the truck to come in. LOL

If you do want to order the sub system this is exactly what I have and it sounds great with more than enough power for an old, partially deaf metalhead. It also gets nice and deep when friends play some Rap off of their phones. The rest of my system is a little over the top as I have a small addiction to loud, clean stereos (think another $5k on top of this sub setup).

The Net Audio Single Tall Passenger Side Box (I added the acoustic stuffing just to give the box little extra volume). It has about 1.1 cu ft of volume.
https://www.netaudiowf.com/product/2009-2017-dodge-ram-crew-cab-sub-box-single-tall-passenger-side/

Sub - JL Audio 12w6v3-D4 (dual 4 ohm voice coils for wiring at 2 ohms). It likes 1 cu ft. of volume and a little over 500w of clean power is the sweet spot.
12W6v3-D4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W6v3 - JL Audio

For the sub amp I went with the Zapco Z-K1D. It puts out roughly 560w @ 2 ohms and is very clean and controlled. Also not too expensive (got mine on Amazon).
https://www.zapco.com/z-1kd

If you were to order these three pieces it would give you something to stare at longingly until your new truck arrives. :)

Enjoy the new truck!

TomT

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Foxbox.... They go under the seat... It's all about quality of speaker not size of the box. Just find the Enclosure you want and match the size to a good sub.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Box size is everything. You can take the best sub on the market in the wrong box and get out preformed by an elcheapo sub in a proper box.

OP
OP
J

Jason Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Thanks for the tips! It is much appreciated. I look forward to sharing what I come up with.