Door unlocks every few seconds with Key Fob outside on passenger side - after rustproofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hello All,
I've had my truck rustproofed few days ago and since then two issues have come up that contribute to battery drain. (The 1st one might be resolved, but the second one is still on-going)

1. The gauge cluster won't fully shut down after exiting the truck. The gauges stay on and and the EVIC screen cycles between on/off with a flash of LEDs over the rotary shifter.
(the sequence is... I turn the truck off, open the door and exit. Then close the door. Looking from outside, the 4 LEDs over the rotary shifter blink once and then the EVIC screen 'wakes up'. This happens roughly every 12 seconds) - NOTE: currently (since two days ago) this has gone away, possibly after disconnecting the battery terminals.
Also, through this forum and couple of others, there seems to be a related issue wtih connector 'i-230' affected by moisture/corrosion or an HVAC control module. I have not checked the connector yet, but will most likely this afternoon.

2. When the Key Fob is outside the truck (within close proximity) on the passenger side, the doors unlock repeatedly (double unlock every 4 seconds or so). It stops as soon as I move away or to the front or the other side of the truck. Everything else seems to be working fine (all key fob functions).
Same behavior happens when the truck is on. Same with both remotes.

I've attached a zipped video to illustrate.

Could this possibly be a bad door handle sensor? How can I validate it. Anything else I should check?

Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Attachments

• door_lock_1.zip
    335.1 KB · Views: 4

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello All,
I've had my truck rustproofed few days ago and since then two issues have come up that contribute to battery drain. (The 1st one might be resolved, but the second one is still on-going)

1. The gauge cluster won't fully shut down after exiting the truck. The gauges stay on and and the EVIC screen cycles between on/off with a flash of LEDs over the rotary shifter.
(the sequence is... I turn the truck off, open the door and exit. Then close the door. Looking from outside, the 4 LEDs over the rotary shifter blink once and then the EVIC screen 'wakes up'. This happens roughly every 12 seconds) - NOTE: currently (since two days ago) this has gone away, possibly after disconnecting the battery terminals.
Also, through this forum and couple of others, there seems to be a related issue wtih connector 'i-230' affected by moisture/corrosion or an HVAC control module. I have not checked the connector yet, but will most likely this afternoon.

2. When the Key Fob is outside the truck (within close proximity) on the passenger side, the doors unlock repeatedly (double unlock every 4 seconds or so). It stops as soon as I move away or to the front or the other side of the truck. Everything else seems to be working fine (all key fob functions).
Same behavior happens when the truck is on. Same with both remotes.

I've attached a zipped video to illustrate.

Could this possibly be a bad door handle sensor? How can I validate it. Anything else I should check?

Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
What did the rustproofing entail? Did they/you drill holes to apply the product?

OP
OP
Silverunner

Silverunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The holes were already pre-drilled from previous years. They have done the underbody, doors, hood, quarter-panels/fenders.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The holes were already pre-drilled from previous years. They have done the underbody, doors, hood, quarter-panels/fenders.
I suppose it's possible they could have knocked something loose when applying if you really believe the two events coincide. If they do their job right they get really far in there.

OP
OP
Silverunner

Silverunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I suppose it's possible they could have knocked something loose when applying if you really believe the two events coincide. If they do their job right they get really far in there.
Thanks for your reply. Seems like the issue has "gone away". My suspicion is that some connector got "wet" and was able to dry out enough.
I was, in a way, hoping that based on the symptoms, I could get an idea which connectors to check... but it's ok now... perhaps if it resurfaces again, I'll tackle it then ;)
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat