plug and play remote starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crowbarr_1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anybody installed a factory remote start ? One thing if you put one on your truck do you have to take it to the dealer to reflash it or can you do it .

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been told by two different dealerships and 3 different shops - I can buy the factory remote start system and install it myself, but I'd need to tow it to a dealership or a shop capable of configuring it to start the vehicle...

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is easy to install and even comes with directions. It does need to be programmed by the dealer though. The wcm and both new keys will need to be programmed. A cheaper and easier option than towing it in, would be to install everything but leave the knee blocker off and leave the old wcm plugged in. Drive it to the dealer. Tell them to just plug in the new wcm and program everything.

Majaste

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is easy to install and even comes with directions. It does need to be programmed by the dealer though. The wcm and both new keys will need to be programmed. A cheaper and easier option than towing it in, would be to install everything but leave the knee blocker off and leave the old wcm plugged in. Drive it to the dealer. Tell them to just plug in the new wcm and program everything.
WCM?? I just purchased the kit and there is no WCM, are you talking about the RF Hub Module?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first guy has a 2011. His should have a wireless control module. That's what the ignition it called. Your 2014 is probably different. What came in the kit?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
search the forum. get the aftermarket kits. no dealer programming or extra keys required.

its 100% plug and ply also. most people have an remote start installed in under 20min.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just want to point out you get less features and more of the after market issues with this system^^^^

I prefer the o.e. system. Neither will work with uconnect from your phone.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just want to point out you get less features and more of the after market issues with this system^^^^

I much prefer the oe system also. I have installed a bunch of them and have had zero issues. I feel they are probably a little more reliable. I have removed many aftermarket alarm systems that caused cars to not start.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

on an pre 13 NONE of those will work anyways.

what less features? they both start the truck? in a pre 13 that is all you can do.

yes with an aftermarket kit you can get the phone app modules. its actually A LOT cheaper. u-connect want like $120 a year for their service. all the aftermarket companies are about $120 for 3 years of service.