Poor man transmission kill switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReggieD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I want a way to keep my 2017 Ram 1500 from easily getting stolen.
I do not want a kill switch because I want to remote starter to still work.

I want the truck to start via the remote starter. The regular kill switch or fuel pump kill switch will prevent the remote starter from working.
How can I block the gear selector from changing into gear. I always wondered since the gear selector is not mechanically connected to the transmission that it must be electronically connected. Therefore it should be a simple way to block the signal with a simple switch.
Hide the switch in the truck.

Reason: I want remote start to always work to warm vehicle. But I also want a hidden switch to prevent truck from getting stolen if a bad guy hot wire truck or has a second set of keys, etc...

Your thoughts please.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's all canbus, not 12v, really not going to happen on the gear selector. Maybe on the brake pedal tho which is what's require to put it in gear, still canbus tho which you still need key present to go to start.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I want the truck to start via the remote starter. The regular kill switch or fuel pump kill switch will prevent the remote starter from working.
How can I block the gear selector from changing into gear. I always wondered since the gear selector is not mechanically connected to the transmission that it must be electronically connected. Therefore it should be a simple way to block the signal with a simple switch.

Reason: I want remote start to always work to warm vehicle. But I also want a hidden switch to prevent truck from getting stolen if a bad guy hot wire truck or has a second set of keys, etc...

Your thoughts please.

If someone really wants to steal your truck they are going too. Quick and easy way. Buy OBD2 Port lock.
Search Amazon or Ebay. They are selling for $5 to $80. It takes less than 30seconds to plugin and program new keys.

If the port is blocked, they either have rip it off or try another truck or tow it away. If they are towing it, kill switch isn't going to do anything.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Your thoughts please.
If you really want to do this, you might be better off installing switches on the seatbelt and drivers door to force the auto-park to engage. If it detects a seatbelt off and driver door open it will not allow the vehicle to leave park. This should also be compatible with your other criteria and involve minimal modification to easily accessible areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReggieD

ReggieD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You are a very smart person. Awesome idea. You should market something like that. I will experiment with your idea. Thank you

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really want to do this, you might be better off installing switches on the seatbelt and drivers door to force the auto-park to engage. If it detects a seatbelt off and driver door open it will not allow the vehicle to leave park. This should also be compatible with your other criteria and involve minimal modification to easily accessible areas.
Remote start wont work if a door is detected as "open". Also, anything that would cause any MIL to be on will disable remote start. IMHO the OP worrying too much about a very unlikely scenario.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you need to do, is put a kill switch on the correct signal wire for your key start/push button start that actually starts your vehicle. Your remote start should still work just fine. The kill switch in this case, is only interrupting the circuit completion when you turn the key/push the start button, and only if the kill switch is in the off position. If you remote start, you'd still need to flip the kill switch to "on" before you could push the start button, and the truck will not shift into drive until you "start" the truck using the key/button.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Remote start wont work if a door is detected as "open". Also, anything that would cause any MIL to be on will disable remote start. IMHO the OP worrying too much about a very unlikely scenario.
Good point. My remote start does work with the door open (it's a D-Ball ignition bypass).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your thoughts please.

Check out this inexpensive and functional solution sold by a Ram Forum member.

The remote start functions exactly the same after installation, however; your vehicle remains secure and until the hidden bypass switch is closed.

I have one installed on my truck and still use the remote start. :cool:

@JW2 Innovations

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Obd locks! That's hilarious the things people waste money on! You could probly steal one of thse trucks with just a couple back probe power jumpers and off ya go.
Like I said in another thread, trailer, winch and off I go. And if I couldn't get my way I'd just burn it out of spite. Haha! Good thing I'm not a thief.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can VERIFY - that if you install a kill switch correctly on the 2017 (4th GEN) trucks, that use a push button and that have remote start you can start the truck with the remote key fob, but you CAN NOT start the push button portion of it to drive off (ignition key trucks are probably the same as they have the SAME wiring as the push button start, but I don't have one to test).

Here's how you can verify for yourself: Crawl under your driver's side dash, and locate the harness for your push button start and then unplug it at the button. Close your truck doors and walk away. Double-press your key fob remote start, and your truck should start right up. With your truck running from remote start, get in your truck and attempt to go into normal "run" mode by pushing on the start button/turning the key, while holding the brake pedal with your foot. Note that your start button normally has lights indicating it's current status (OFF/ACC/RUN). With remote start, your "RUN" light on the start button should be flashing, but it won't be. If it is, you probably disconnected your mic harness and not your push button start.

The point of this is, that if you are thinking of installing a kill switch, you can cut into one of the following: the red wire (Positive power, 12vdc), the black wire (ground), or the violet-brown wire (signal) - and splice in to wire in a hidden kill switch. Personally, I'd say go with the red wire. I'm not sure if you can splice into the Security K Line Communication - but I don't see why not - I just don't know if it'd stop someone from starting the truck.

I'd also recommend cutting in as far away from the push button as possible, as a thief might realize what you've done, and just look under the dash panel to find your splice. If you put the splice near the Radio Frequency Hub side of the harness, a thief won't be able to QUICKLY find it - note: I said "quickly"... any thief, given enough time, tools, and freedom - CAN FIND what you've done and bypass the kill switch.

The button (or buttons) should be located in a hidden location(s) - preferably in easy reach from the driver's side of the vehicle, but they don't have to be if you've got enough wire and don't mind having to flip a switch before you climb in the truck. Just put them where someone isn't going to necessarily look right away.

Notes: You can put MULTIPLE kill switches in series. They would ALL have to be flipped to the correct positions to get the truck to start, but only ONE of them has to be in kill mode to disable the truck from starting.

Also, you can use DPDT (On/Off/On) switches if you want - then you can wire each switch one way, or the other, and it has to be in the correct position on each switch, and each switch can be a different position for start - for example: If you have three switches: one switch with pin A as on, the other with pin B, and the third with pin B, then you'd need to have the switch 1 in up, 2 in down, and 3 in down, to enable your truck.

You could (and SHOULD) put each switch in a different hidden location if you decide to do this, so a thief wouldn't be able to find all of them quickly, and they'd have to figure out the sequence - here's the type of switch I'm talking about (you can get six of them here: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV5K2JV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1):
1705346586947.jpeg
The number of possible switch combinations is the same as 2^(# of switches) - so 2^6 switches = 64 possible ways a thief might have to try to set the switches before your truck will start - plus they'd have to find all 6 switch locations... If you use just 3 switches (2^3 switches), it would mean a thief would have to try up to 8 different combinations before they could get the truck to start unless they got lucky and guessed it right - and again, they'd still have to find all the switches. You could even throw in some "dummy" switches with wire that leads to nothing and nowhere... :)

Only you would know which were fake and which were real. I know - that's all overkill.. but still...

Here's the relevant section of the wiring diagram for the ignition key/push button start circuit (the big blue long rectangle at the top is the RFH side, and the smaller ones are the ignition key (left) or push button start (right).

1705345888524.png

Hope you find that helpful if you're thinking of adding a kill switch (or switches) somewhere!

V/R

Black-Wolf

Last edited: