Possible Solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last week I picked up a 2003 Durango that was that was just to good to pass up. It had the cassette, one CD radio. The CD will load and play, but when I try to eject it makes all the associated reject noise but won't eject. Was able to partially insert another CD and by holding the CD and putting some pressure on the stuck one was able to get it to poke out far enough to grab and pull out.

Second issue was with the cassette player. Cassette is pulled in, but after a few seconds it just ejects.

Any recommendations to try things that may correct one or both issues would be appreciated. :happy107:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
A reset pin is my only thought, if such a pin exists.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what he said or else throw away whats in it and bury your loss and get an aftermarket.

OP
OP
ExpressRules

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket, or eBay for used OEM.

I did already find that a refurbished OEM unit is available. Since the Durango is just going to be used as a spare vehicle was just looking for any "tricks" that somebody has used in a similar situation. Other then the head unit issue it is a nice Durango. Only has 114,000 miles, AWD, second and third row heat and A/C vents and runs very nice. I had been looking for another 2003 Durango ever since my daughter totaled the one I had last year.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are ok with giving it up, I would try to take it apart and see if it is something obvious. I worked in a shop for several years and when I came across issues like this, it wasnt often but, I was able to see if something was lodged in it and remove it. Sometimes kids like to use the cassette and cd plays are coin and toy slots. If springs were involved in removing certain parts, I either stayed away from it or tore it apart knowing it was not going back together.

OP
OP
ExpressRules

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have considered pulling it out to get a closer look at both mechanisms, but looks like a bit of a pain to pull off the dash section to get access to remove the unit just to find I couldn't fix it after all, then put the gash back together only to pull it apart again once I find and order a replacement head unit.

Basically I'm just getting lazy with age. There was a time I wouldn't have hesitated pulling my car apart to install an engine part or a after market radio and speakers.