Quick question about radio swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
help upgrading radio

Hello guys. I am looking to upgrade my 2016 ram stereo and have searched and read TONS and still remain confused. I have the smaller touch screen radio (I think its called RA2 with touch screen and bluetooth). I am looking to upgrade it to the 8.4 with navigation. Do I just need to buy the stereo and new bezel for dash, or do I need to change wiring and everything?

Any help would be great guys. I will also be selling this unit I have as well. It is 5 weeks old.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys. I am looking to upgrade my 2016 ram stereo and have searched and read TONS and still remain confused. I have the smaller touch screen radio (I think its called RA2 with touch screen and bluetooth). I am looking to upgrade it to the 8.4 with navigation. Do I just need to buy the stereo and new bezel for dash, or do I need to change wiring and everything?

Any help would be great guys. I will also be selling this unit I have as well. It is 5 weeks old.
Here is the thread with all of the info to upgrade from the 5.0 to the 8. 4.
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=78289
I personally have not upgraded from my uConnect 5.0.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck is a 1500 the conversion is extremely easy due to the fact that it has a 7 speed fan from the factory. If you have a 2500 OR 3500 the conversion is more involved because you will need to convert your truck to a 7 speed fan to do The full conversion. The non RA3 RA4 trucks come with a 4 speed fan. . As recommended read the thread and learn as much as you can before you begin. If your truck is a 1500 you will need these parts

1: RA4 radio. The preferred radio is going to be a VP4 NA. The NA stands for Noth America. This radio has the capability of Real Time Traffic and Travel Link.
2: 8.4 single zone radio bezel. The dual zone will work but non of the passenger side controls will work and the auto function will not work. The single zone is prefered. All options will work as they should with the single zone.
3: conversion harness for 7 speed fan
4: 911 override plug
5: Heater Control Module for 8.4 radio system
Since your truck already has the RA2 no other items are required. This is a 100% plug and play upgrade there are no codes of any kind involved plug it in and enjoy. If your truck is a 2500 or 2500 you will need a different harness plus another factory harness that needs to be striped and wired in plus a blower motor resistor.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thank you very much for your help guys. Yes my truck is a 1500 so I guess I lucked out with that.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Ok guys, I know this has been asked before but I've read every single post I could find and am still confused. I have a 2016 Ram that came with the uconnect RA2 with touch screen and bluetooth. I want to upgrade it to the 8.4 with NAV and already bought the bezel. The bezel I just bought has the Dodge controls under it that include the volume control on left. I have seen other people buy bezel`s with a little black button at bottom left and use that for volume. Will this bezel I have work. Why would anyone want a bezel with black turn button at bottom for volume instead of the original Dodge controls.

Any help would be great guys. This is just an expensive upgrade and I don`t want to make any mistakes along the way.

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I believe one of the reasons for the bezel with the black knob is that the bezel was designed so that if your truck does not have the steering wheel audio buttons, you will be able to adjust the volume.

I believe the bezel you have will work, but i think you will need more than the radio and the bezel to complete the upgrade. Based on what I read in the posts, the best bezel to get is the one that doesn't have 2 zone climate control. I will let other (more knowledgeable) members chime in....

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres a whole 8.4 swap thread that outlines everything you need for the OEM bezel to work right on the first page. in short, theres more to making it work then just the bezel.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes that is the bezel I have now. It is the single climate control one and has the factory Dodge volume control. My steering wheel does not have volume control so I'm hoping that this bezel will work. Just not sure what other parts I will need and can't seem to find list in the million posts I've read.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes that is the bezel I have now. It is the single climate control one and has the factory Dodge volume control. My steering wheel does not have volume control so I'm hoping that this bezel will work. Just not sure what other parts I will need and can't seem to find list in the million posts I've read.
I'll post a link here for the 8.4" RA4 Conversion thread .

Found it ! Just post your question at the end and welcome to the forum Sir !

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=78289&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Adding RA4 Navigation unit?

Hello guys. I have a 2016 Ram and want to change from my RA2 to an RA4 Navigation unit, and I already have the 7 speed fan and have already purchased the single zone head unit bezel. Do I need anything else before I finally spend the money on the RA4? Also, when I find and buy an RA4, will my bluetooth and Uconnect all still work? I have read something on here about making sure I get the VIN from the truck it come out of.

Any help would be great. I just really want to be educated in this before I start ripping truck apart.

Thank you very much for any help.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres an entire thread dedicated to this swap with step by step instructions. you need a conversion harness.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thank you for this help. I cannot find any thread on this. My factory harness will not plug into the RA4? I assume this new harness joints them?

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Updating radio in my 2016??

My 2016 Ram came with the touch screen RA2 (I believe thats what it is called), and I am in the process of changing it to the touch screen navigation RA4. Are all the RA4's the same? My friend just bought a 2017 Ram and his radio looks the same as the other RA4's I've seen, only his also alerts you when you are driving over the speed limit. I would like that option and I was wanting to ensure I buy a unit that has that if possible.

Thanks for any help here with this. :)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All RA4 radios are not the same , I suggest getting an RA4 8.4AN radio that is confirmed from a 16 RAM truck.

The audible message about speeding is in the Navigation settings I believe . I have a 15 RA4 8.4NA in my 14 Ram , RA1 nontouchscreen original truck . I have my speed limit set to 9mph over .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suggest doing some reading here .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1189534

Any questions you have on your upgrade , I suggest posting them there , tons of info and knowledge on that thread .
Good luck on your upgrade Sir !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
changing from RA2 to RA4 question?

I know there are a ton of write ups about this, and I think I've read them all. I just end up more confused after reading it all. I have a 2016 Ram that came with a touch screen RA2. I want to upgrade to the Navigation RA4 and I already bought the bezel and the 911 plug. So all I need now is the RA4 unit and a wire harness correct? Does anyone know where I can buy a wire harness? I already have the 7 speed fan, but I think I will still need this harness made up. I would like to do this mod very soon and I do not want to start until I know I have everything needed to do it all once it is apart.

Thank you for any help guys. :)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you have a 2016 1500 with a factory 7 speed hvac fan ...
Since you have a bezel and 911 error/Cell Bypass plug, you will still need a 7 speed conversion harness and the HVAC module (68268186Ax) listed below.
We (M² Mods) can build you the harness ($145), just shoot me a PM.
PS: we make the cell bypass for $30

Parts Required For MOD:

01. 8.4 Uconnect Radio (VP3/RA3 - Non-Nav) or (VP4/RA4 - Nav)
** For Compatible RA4 Radios see here. **Check car-part.com, Schram, ebay, etc.

02. SINGLE ZONE OEM 8.4" (MTC) BEZEL: 1UJ96DX9AF (AC, AD, AE, etc)
** Optional: DUAL ZONE 8.4" (ATC) BEZEL, while not preferred, will work. See post 16

03. Base to 8.4 Radio Conversion Harness (7 speed Fan specific models):
. . (or get one from: M² Mods )

04. HVAC Control Module: 68268186Ax (AB, AC, etc) (7 speed Fan specific models)
** (also replaces 68183973Ax, 68236772Ax, etc. See here)

05. 911 Error Fix/Cellular Fooler Plug: (or SharkFin Antenna mod)
. . See note 1 (below) to make your own or get one from ( M² Mods ).

Quick Instruction Sheet References:
- 2013-2016 8.4 Conversion for 7 Speed Fan Trucks 2-10-17.pdf <----- RECOMMENDED READING

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thank you very much for this help. I am sending you a PM now.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
What is a cell bypass? Do I buy the harness off of you and then get the HVAC moudule from Dodge? Thanks again