Uconnect Hands Free Reset? - 2011 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joelstad

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the RHB Uconnect system (the Alpine factory setup). I have made no modifications to the vehicle in any way and as far as I can tell, everything on the truck appears to be stock (I'm the second owner).

I paired my Samsung Galaxy S2 to the system and have been using it without issue for several months now. This includes phone calls and streaming Bluetooth music. Last week I got the Galaxy S3 to replace my existing device and I used the Uconnect voice prompts to list the paired devices and then delete all devices.

Immediately after deleting the paired device (there was only 1), the hands free portion of the Uconnect system stopped working. When I press the call button or voice button (whatever they're called, lol), the normal beep I would hear to say a command doesn't sound.

Some information:
-The USB outlet in the dash has nothing plugged in
-The DVD/CD drive is empty, no disc
-The Navigation has not been updated since it left the factory ($150 to update it)
-I checked the last 8 of my VIN and the Uconnect website states there are no updates available
-Application software is 23.04.41
-Audio CPU is 021511
-System is 0203

What I've learned/done so far:
-There are two separate fuses for my audio/hands free system; a 30a for the radio itself and a 15a for the hands free portion. I pulled them in every combination imaginable with time between tries to try and get the system to reset. I also pulled fuses with every combination imaginable while connecting and disconnecting the battery for different lengths of time (no battery, 30a fuse, connect the battery, disconnect, add the 15a fuse, connect the battery, etc [it took hours]). Finally, I pulled both fuses and disconnected the battery over night and nothing changed.
-When I have the truck ignition on or running with the 30a fuse for the radio in place but the 15a fuse for the hands free system removed and I press the voice command button, the message "Uconnect hands free is not available" or a message with similar verbiage appears. Re-inserting the fuse and pressing the voice command button does nothing and no message appears.
-I read somewhere that some Uconnect system could be reset by holding the climate control buttons to gain access to some kind of engineering menu. I have no idea if this applied to my hardware but I tried anyways, no menu ever appeared.
-I took the truck to the dealership and they had no idea what to do but I do have an appointment on Monday to have the hands free module replaced as that's their best guess.

I'd prefer not to give the truck up to the dealership because I'm not confident they know how to fix the issue other than throwing hardware at it. Also, to do so, I'm afraid some kid that gets paid $10/hr is going to climb in there and start pulling the dash apart while breaking all the tabs off, etc, so I'd like to fix this on my own.

Here are some pictures of my unit and a short video showing I have the voice buttons but they don't work anymore:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106793397775269753444/UconnectIssues?authkey=Gv1sRgCLSZ9M_QlNrVPQ#

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help in advance, I appreciate it!

--Joel

OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
430N Software Versions?

Does anyone else have a 430N that can share their software version? I checked the last 8 of my VIN number for an update on the Uconnect website and it states there are no updates available but I'm reading in other forums that other users have different versions (430N (RHB) Nav System in 2012 JKU - JeepForum.com).

Does anyone know what is most current?

I posted earlier that I have 23.04.41.

--Joel

OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
430n Updated to 33.01.23 Software

I found, downloaded and burned to a CD software version 33.01.23 and updated my 430n this afternoon.

I took pictures of the update process and added them to the Picasa album linked above and I'm currently uploading the entire update video to YouTube (2.6Gb) so I'll post a link to that when it's ready.

The update seemed to work fine but it not fix my voice command issue. I'm beginning to think the voice command module really did fail because I can't seem to get it working. I'll keep the appointment for Monday and we'll see what the dealer says.

--Joel

OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
Well, I already had the truck to the dealership last week and according to them, I needed a new hands free module and today's appointment was to have it installed. They kept my rig all day, called me mid-afternoon and said they have determined I need a new hands free module and they'll get it ordered.

When I picked it up this afternoon the gentleman I spoke to stated they "did all kinds of updates" but couldn't tell me what updates were done. My NAV screens look the same, my software version is the same, etc. What updates could they have done?

I have to bring my rig back on Wednesday to have the hands free module installed. *sigh*

--Joel

Allstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Sport CC
Engine
Does anyone else have a 430N that can share their software version? I checked the last 8 of my VIN number for an update on the Uconnect website and it states there are no updates available but I'm reading in other forums that other users have different versions (430N (RHB) Nav System in 2012 JKU - JeepForum.com).

Does anyone know what is most current?

I posted earlier that I have 23.04.41.

--Joel

Mine is 43.??.?? can't remember offhand. I had to have the ECM to the Bluetooth replaced in mine couple weeks ago and the service manager said another update is being released soon..

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The uconnect module is separate from the head unit behind the glovebox on the side wall. It's what controls the voice commands, Bluetooth, and, the auxiliary USB port. The head unit doesn't have any voice command capability, only the buttons to control the Uconnect module.
The Uconnect module has it's own software and changing the head unit software won't do anything for the uconnect module.

Do some reading, but check this page that has a link to download the software. But read first to make sure it's correct for your unit.
2011 Uconnect SW update - JeepForum.com

Ray

RAMeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I already had the truck to the dealership last week and according to them, I needed a new hands free module and today's appointment was to have it installed. They kept my rig all day, called me mid-afternoon and said they have determined I need a new hands free module and they'll get it ordered.

When I picked it up this afternoon the gentleman I spoke to stated they "did all kinds of updates" but couldn't tell me what updates were done. My NAV screens look the same, my software version is the same, etc. What updates could they have done?

I have to bring my rig back on Wednesday to have the hands free module installed. *sigh*

--Joel
Hello Joel,

Watched your video - is it my imagination or did the NAV screen change significantly after the upgrade?

I think I have the same set-up in my 2011 LARAMIE Crew Cab. What did the dealer end up doing? Did you get it resolved? What version is it now?

TIA
Tim

OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
The dealer replaced the Uconnect module entirely. Yes, after the upgrade the NAV button changed and the screen theme changed to a darker theme. I'll check the version information in the morning for you.

--Joel

RAMeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for the info - the hardware numbers match mine, however not the application version.

Do you have a download of that version?

Did the NAV go back to the old screens or stay as they were in the Youtube Video you posted?

**UPDATE**
I decided to take the plunge...
I downloaded the 50.00.07 update from here.
Followed the instructions as contained in this TECH BULLETIN
Burned the ISO to a CD - and even though the TECH BULLETIN specifically excludes 2011 RHB systems, it loaded and updated just fine! Took about 20 minutes to complete...
All seems well - thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
The NAV stays on the darker theme with the new icons and there is no option to change it. I got the software from a link above, the Jeep forum I think. Just burned it to a standard cd-r.

OP
OP
J

joelstad

Reaction score
Also, just noticed my update video is gone? Not sure what happened there....

RAMeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The NAV stays on the darker theme with the new icons and there is no option to change it. I got the software from a link above, the Jeep forum I think. Just burned it to a standard cd-r.

Thanks again for the help - I updated my earlier post (see above) before refreshing the thread... Anywho! I'm at the 50.00.07 version and all seems well...

Infamous72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are you guys doing? Does anyone know what happened to the link that RAMeister posted for the software update? I was trying to got through the Uconnect website but it keeps telling me that there is no update available at this time for my VIN. I am having issues with my radio draining my battery overnight and wanted to see if a software update would help solve this or if anyone has any solutions besides replacing the headunit. Thanks

jhabetler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer replaced the Uconnect module entirely. Yes, after the upgrade the NAV button changed and the screen theme changed to a darker theme. I'll check the version information in the morning for you.

--Joel

So your Uconnect module is working OK after the dealer replaced it?
I have a similar issue, but am only getting the "Uconnect Phone not available" message/error when I push either my phone or hands free button...
Seems I may have a power supply problem? (similar error message that you had when you pulled your fuse completely)

Cadilac1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So your Uconnect module is working OK after the dealer replaced it?
I have a similar issue, but am only getting the "Uconnect Phone not available" message/error when I push either my phone or hands free button...
Seems I may have a power supply problem? (similar error message that you had when you pulled your fuse completely)

Did you get it fixed yet? I have the exact same issue, I'm also getting the "Uconnect Phone not available" message.

Thanks,
Eric.