Uconnect radio 5.0 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Just bought my 13 ram 1500 last weekend. It has the Uconnect 5.0 ra2. I didn't know much about these radios before buying the truck so I didn't thoroughly test everything when test driving it at the dealership. Anyways on the drive home I tried hooking my phone up to the Bluetooth. I couldn't get it to connect to my phone or my girlfriends. So next I tried plugging in my aux cord in the center console and that wouldn't work either. Then I tried the USB port with my charger and same thing it wouldn't connect to the radio but it would charge my phone. So I started messing with it some more and realized that my clock is 11 hours off so I looked up how to set the clock and quickly found that when you press the setting button on the radio there should be a botton for "clock and date". That button does not show up on my screen. So after doing some research on the old interweb I came to the conclusion that maybe the person who owned the truck before me restored the radio to factory settings when he traded it in and that possibly wiped out the updates on the radio. So first I tried the whole Uconnect website do it yourself update and followed all the instructions for downloading the update onto the USB drive and that went smooth, then I went out to the truck and plugged in the USB following all the instructions from the website and I sat in the truck for 15 minutes and...nothing. The USB drive was lit up like it was getting power to it but I was never prompted on the screen to start the update. Next step was to make an appointment at the dealership. I took it in to the yesterday and they had it from 9am-2pm and when I finally called them for an update the lady told me that the tech just brought her the keys and pulled it out. So the first thing she tells me is that my truck didn't come with the "hands free module" to control Bluetooth. My response was okay that's understandable but why would that cause the aux cord and USB port to not work either? Her next excuse was something to the effect of there being a mechanical issue wrong with the USB port itself and the only solution would be to replace the radio. At this point I had enough and just told her I wanted my keys. I did some more research and as far as I could tell (correct me if I'm wrong) if you have the yellow Sirius xm wire that plugs into the back of the radio then that means that you have the hands free module already. So I pulled my radio out and sure enough I have that wire going into my radio. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? Anyone had any of the same issues? Opinions? Where should I go from here? I feel like the dealership is giving me the run around trying to sell me parts I don't need. Sorry for the long post but any help would be great. Thanks.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Strange. I would almost want to say it didn't come stock with the 5.0, maybe the 3. Buttons on the front of the wheel for phone controls would suggest the 5.0. Either way, i would disconnect the negative on the battery for 15 minutes and reconnect. Might do something for you.

OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My steering wheel has a phone button and a voice recognition button if that means anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you & your girlfriend have android or I-phone ?

Do you have the rearview mirror with microphones?

Do you have a backup camera ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Both have iPhones. And as for the microphones I have no clue. I'll have to take a look at that in the morning.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both have iPhones. And as for the microphones I have no clue. I'll have to take a look at that in the morning.

Your I phones may not connect to the RA2 5.0" radio .

The microphones are on top of the rearview mirrors .

Do you have a back up cam ?

OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I do not have a back up cam. Also I forgot to mention that Sirius xm wont work either when I click on the button but like I said I have the Sirius wire going into the back of the radio.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sirius XM not working is just because the subscription is likely expired .
Just go to settings in the radio scroll around , you'll find the Sirius set up page .
Have your trucks puck antenna ( on the top of the cab ) in plain view of the sky and not parked near any structure .

Call the # on the Sirius screen page ( have your vin # available just in case ) the Sirius operator will walk you through the process.
I recommend just getting the free trial , this way when they contact you for renewal you have the opportunity to talk down the price [emoji1]

As for the blutooth not working , get a friend with an android phone to see if it connects and post the results here .

If your truck is a 2013 I'm certin it has the Bluetooth capabilities.

Don't belive what the dealer says ( my.02 )

Need to get an original build sheet for your vin #. Then verify your installed equipment against the build sheet .

Was this sale an as is ONLY ?

Surely they gave you some sort of warranty ?
At least one that covers proper operation of the factory installed equipment as the vehicle was sold .

Speaking of which does your compass button work on your radio ?

And do you have an overhead console ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've tried everything to set up Sirius. Anything I press on the screen to try to bring Sirius up doesn't do anything. I've typed my vin number in on the Sirius website and it tells me that it doesn't recognize the vin and to type in my radio ID number by tuning to channel 0 but I can't get to channel 0 because the XM button literally does nothing when I push it. The sale was at a used car dealership not a dodge specific dealership so no warranty but I did contact them and they said they would take a look at the radio when I bring it back to them in a couple weeks to have them replace the windshield (2 hour drive from my house) but I'm not very hopeful that they will be of any help. The compass button does work. And yes I have the overhead console that has the two map lights along with the ambient light if that's what you're referring to.

OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I guess I should mention the dealership that I brought it to the other day was not the same dealership that I bought the vehicle from. This one is a Chrysler dealer and they almost made it seem like because I didn't buy the vehicle there that they were just trying to screw me.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
FYI - iPhones connect just fine to the 5.0...
I have an SE on iOS 10.+, a 4s on 9+, and a 4s on 7+. All connect to bluetooth and work. There is something else going on with this system. The sat button should bring up the Preveiw 184 and serial number 0 at the least. Also what USB is being used? If there are 2, one is charging only and one is for media. Maybe the HU is bad and needs to be replaced. There seems to be too many things wrong to be a simple software update.

BTW- if you do not have an active account on Sirius the web site is useless. I tried to send a reconnect signal to my Dart but since the trial ran out it won't do anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've tried using both USB ports. Both of them charge but neither will connect to radio to play music.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Stupid question but does that same usb cable work for transferring data from your pc? I've had cables that didn't transfer only charge and my phone itself had a bad data connector. It would disconnect if i touched the cable.

OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
That could be plausible, but the aux input isn't working either so I don't think that is the issue.

OP
OP
Aja3406

Aja3406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Your I phones may not connect to the RA2 5.0" radio .

The microphones are on top of the rearview mirrors .

Do you have a back up cam ?

Just checked and I do have the microphones on top of the rear view mirror

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the compass button work properly on your radio ?

Do you have an overhead console ?

I recommend seeing if a friend with an android device can connect to the radio via blutooth.

Call sirusxm to set up Sirius XM for the trail period .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That could be plausible, but the aux input isn't working either so I don't think that is the issue.

Personally , I'd be having the selling dealer fix ALL oem equipment that does not work .

Keep in mind if you find out your truck came with the RA1 3.0 non touchscreen radio (via your factory build sheet ).

Then most likely the steering wheel audio controls, mirror with microphones and the radio will be items your dealer likely will not repair .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited: