How to replace Infinity Audio System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hey. Can anyone tell me why the infinity audio system is so difficult to replace? or get the needed parts for a aftermarket head unit? Im in need of some assistance if anyone would like to help. Much appreciated.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
If you want to keep the factory speakers with a aftermarket head unit then you need a special interface that will control the factory amp so that you can get sound from the speakers. I ended up replacing all my speakers, ran new speaker wire, and bought a aftermarket amp for mine. That is a lot of work so most people just buy the $100 interface and keep the factory speakers.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
For the 02 year trucks no special interface is needed. Only the Can-Bus equipped ones need the interface (2006 on).
What you will need to do though is remove the stock radio, grab the harness coming from its back, and pull it out until you get to a Y in the wires. Find the connector on the other half of the Y (one leg goes t the amp, the other to the cab wiring), and disconnect it from the Y, do not let this connector you disconnected go back into hiding. The Y harness can now be tucked out of the way. Using the adaptor you can now connect your new radio to the cab harness. Be sure to disconnect the fuse for the infinity amp to fully disable it.
Full removal of the Infinity amp is possible, but a massive pain. It is located behind and above the glove box. To get to it you have to remove the glove box, then look up and a bit towards the radio. You will see it up there. 3 bolts hold it in place and one of the bolts is not easy to get too at all. It can be left in place if you do not want to get ticked off at your truck.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Didnt know that was an option on the older trucks. I would go that direction to save money and make everything much easier Mack.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shoot the infinity and the kicker were either factory options or dealer installed options. The amps for both systems are in the same place and not easy to get out (I removed mine when it decided to bite the bullet). The wire harnesses for our trucks is basically the same in the cab, except like I said from 06 on they have the damnable Can-Bus system which makes any upgrade a pita.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
With the new systems you need something for the sat the nav and the amp i left my head unit in and got a 1200 watt system installed even the guy there said why replace your head unit its got sat nav blue tooth and can hold a **** load of songs lol so that saved me 1k but ya to replace the head unit takes alot

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I had to replace my front speakers 6/9s kickers, is there any reason why they don't put out sound but only base? I have the (big to me) type of tweeters on the dash that do most of the sound, the back do some. But having this infinity system make the kicker speakers not work?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to replace my front speakers 6/9s kickers, is there any reason why they don't put out sound but only base? I have the (big to me) type of tweeters on the dash that do most of the sound, the back do some. But having this infinity system make the kicker speakers not work?

The infinity system is designed for Infinity speakers. The stock speakers in out trucks are only 2 ohm units. So installing 4 ohm speakers makes the seem like they are not working. In order to cure this you need to remove or bypass the infinity amp and come straight off the radio, or better yet replace the stock head unit with one that puts out at least 25 watts per channel. Here is a link to Kenwood's offerings that put out well more than enough power to drive any speaker: Receiver | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | Kenwood USA

I think this is the one that replaced the one that I have in my truck: KDC-BT958HD | 1DIN CDR | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | Kenwood USA

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
If I bypass my amp, will I have no bass at all? Or make it seem like a normal sound system?

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
For the 02 year trucks no special interface is needed. Only the Can-Bus equipped ones need the interface (2006 on).
What you will need to do though is remove the stock radio, grab the harness coming from its back, and pull it out until you get to a Y in the wires. Find the connector on the other half of the Y (one leg goes t the amp, the other to the cab wiring), and disconnect it from the Y, do not let this connector you disconnected go back into hiding. The Y harness can now be tucked out of the way. Using the adaptor you can now connect your new radio to the cab harness. Be sure to disconnect the fuse for the infinity amp to fully disable it.
Full removal of the Infinity amp is possible, but a massive pain. It is located behind and above the glove box. To get to it you have to remove the glove box, then look up and a bit towards the radio. You will see it up there. 3 bolts hold it in place and one of the bolts is not easy to get too at all. It can be left in place if you do not want to get ticked off at your truck.
I looked at that, I couldn't seem to find any wires that went into a Y, I pulled as hard as I could before damaging anything, followed the wires til I couldn't, and nothing, how far is this Y harness at? Were can I find a harness that will fit this, and into another head unit?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has the Y harness then it should have ben within a couple inches of the radio. I linked a By-Pass kit though that works and will allow a new radio to be installed. Bypassing the Infinity amp will not make you lose the bass. All that does is get rid of the amp part and it will no longer work. Kinda odd that you cannot find the Y harness. I thought that all the dodge Rams had the same main harness and when they added stuff to the truck (optional equipment) they just plugged in the needed harnesses and then added the optional stuff.
I will do a bit more research and see if I find anymore out. Metra Part # 70-6514 | Chrysler Dodge wire harness | Metra Online

02Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I am having the same problem with my radio. I bought a pioneer for my truck. I read that an aftermarket radio amp robs power from the infinity amp. So i purchased an amp by pass kit. I didn't install it yet because I need some help.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
actually the way the infinity system is set up it only allows certain signals to certain sperakers like dash are high and door are mid and back are low

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
kf5jbm.jpg

This is the furthest the wire harness will go, I can put my hand down there but don't feel any wires splitting off. You are saying that I can get a harness to plug into that; that plugs into a new radio, and itll make my speakers work, but not the amp?

This is a wire harness I found at Walmart, Will it work, just to bypass the amp?
33xvw2c.jpg

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a specific harness for the infinity systems. As far as the wires go, they should come out of the radio, then go to the amp where they split off into the vehicle harness and the speaker harness. I was doing a bit of research and decided to go to a junk yard for a looksee and found that the damn infinity system is integrated into the trucks wiring and is extremely frustrating to get rid of.

First you will have to get a bypass kit for your truck. That will take the infinity amp out of the lop altogether. I believe I linked a couple already. Next you will need to get an aftermarket radio installation kit. Not sure about the one from WalMart one. But if it says it is for your truck then it may work. Now the speakers. You will need to replace those also seeing as they are designed to work with the infinity system.
Why did Dodge make it so hard for us to upgrade to better stereo equipment???

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
So Buy that bypass kit, The installation kit, and another aftermarket headunit? Then it should be all good, or do I need that wire harness I post a picture of too?
Yeah Somone needs to tell Chrysler that the infinity system isn't that good. Idk why they even made it.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Just bought that bypass kit, the installation kit, and a new headunit. What will I have to wire up? The wire harness that comes with the head unit does not have the right plug in for the bypass, so it'll tell me which wires are which? Color coded?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone posted the wire diagram here somewhere I will do a search for it.