How to Unplug OBD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shmitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Good day all. I recently purchased a 2023 Ram 3500 6.7HO and it has LEDs installed almost everywhere. I'm trying to upgrade the front parking lamps/turn signals to LEDs and then update with JScan to avoid hyperflashing. For the life of me I can't figure out how to unplug the 2 OBD harnesses so I can connect them to the OBD2 cable. I can remove the housing from the bracket under the steering wheel and then the two grey clips but that is where I get stumped.

Any suggestions or am I missing something obvious. The last thing I want to do is pull on the wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you have LEDs everywhere else, you should be able to just replace the parking lamps/turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs and you shouldn't have an issue. Shouldn't be any programming needed.

If I recall the hyperflashing issue hasn't been a problem in several model years, but I might be mistaken on that.

Might need to do the security bypass to make your scanner capable of making any computer changes.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What you have circled is the obd port , it’s where you plug in to access the system.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What you have circled is the obd port , it’s where you plug in to access the system.
The way he describes it, it sounds like he's wanting to take the port OFF and hook up a different cable? In an effort to bypass the security maybe?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
As mentioned your picture is the OBD2 port where you plugin to your vehicles bus system for reading codes, pulling data, etc. For programming, you will need the newer style cable where it plugs into the security gateway module (SGM) and has two lead ends coming into an OBD2 connection (not one you picture, but is with this security cable/harness). Ram made some changes that require this additional harness in 2018 or 2019 and up vehicles. You should be able to find this harness on Amazon for $20-$25 or so.

I know you mention different tools, but wanted to also mention AlphOBD and MX+ adapter, which I do own and have used myself - though I own a 2016 so no additional harness needed for my needs. Great write up on this forum here where this applies:
Alpha OBD how to link

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shmitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Thank you all for your support! I'm mistaken, based on your feedback I'm looking for the Security Gateway Module so I can bypass the security and update my truck to have LEDs. I have the adapter cable; I'm just not sure where the SGM is on my truck. I see a few modules under the there but I'm not sure exactly which one is the SGM. I'll keep poking around.

Cheers!

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
Thank you all for your support! I'm mistaken, based on your feedback I'm looking for the Security Gateway Module so I can bypass the security and update my truck to have LEDs. I have the adapter cable; I'm just not sure where the SGM is on my truck. I see a few modules under the there but I'm not sure exactly which one is the SGM. I'll keep poking around.

Cheers!
You seem to be misunderstanding. You
can't just take the sgm out of the circuit, afaik none of the system will even boot if the sgm is removed.

You just need to plug the cable into the obd2 port and insert what should be two wires into terminal boards on the left wall under the dash (as long as you have the same bypass cable as me), just as should have been written in the directions for the cable, they are usually available online if you didn't get a hardcopy.

You only need to remove the obd2 port from the panel if you are going to leave the cable completely plugged in all the time. That isn't a good idea though, since it leaves your vehicle even more wide open to modern vehicle thieves than it already is, and can lead to questions from many dealers that result in voiding of some or all of your warranty. Just tuck it up out of sight for when/if you do need it for something.