Upgrading Stock Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
First time poster here.

I'm Louie, I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 4.7. Love it.

I've had it a few months now, and I am starting to think that the stock 4 speaker system needs to go.

It has been a few years since I've messed around with audio stuff. I used to have an 01' Ram Standard Cab. I actually shoved 2 12" Elemental Design subs into that truck, and boy do I miss having low end bass.

I'll get to the point. I'm looking for suggestions, banter, criticism...anything you guys can throw at me.

I'll start with the head unit. I've been considering the Alpine CDE-103BT. Anyone have any expedience with it? Anything else I should consider?

I will also need suggestions for the 4 door speakers, and any options I might have for subs. FWIW: sitting in my basement, sad and lonely, is a Hifonics Brutus 1000D mono Sub amplifier, and 2 12" Elemental Design Kv.2's. I would love to be able to use these and not have to buy new subs/amp. I know I would have to get a new custom box.

Obviously I'm rambling a bit here, but anything you guys could share with me would be great.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get one of these boxes, expensive, but they are the best for our trucks.
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-212-S

As for speaker replacement, I like my memphis audio speakers but go somewhere you can hear the speakers you want to buy first, everybody's ears are different. You will need 2 6x9s up front (or 6.5s with a spacer if thats your thing), and you can fit two 6.5s in the rear (the hole is for 5 1/4 but you can fit em, i did)

Welcome to RF bud, get some pics up of your truck!

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to hear someone with 6.5s all the way around, im not convinced it would some that much different.

OP
OP
L

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I have looked at those fox boxes before. They do look pretty nice. Not sure I'd want to put both 12"s in though.

photo1.jpg

Attached an image of my truck. Clearly haven't done much as far as mods go. :think:

Most likely do audio first, then a bed cover. From there, who knows...

Last edited:

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get one of these boxes, expensive, but they are the best for our trucks.
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-212-S

As for speaker replacement, I like my memphis audio speakers but go somewhere you can hear the speakers you want to buy first, everybody's ears are different. You will need 2 6x9s up front (or 6.5s with a spacer if thats your thing), and you can fit two 6.5s in the rear (the hole is for 5 1/4 but you can fit em, i did)

Welcome to RF bud, get some pics up of your truck!

I agree...a Fox Box, is a good upgrade. And, Memphis makes some AWESOME products!

I would like to hear someone with 6.5s all the way around, im not convinced it would some that much different.

+1...totally agree.

And welcome! Post up in the intro section. With pix...pix of wife, or gf are also expected.

OP
OP
L

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Is there a possible way to verify if an amplifier is working without doing a full install? I'm not sure I want to go down the path of putting subs in if I have to buy a new amp.

OP
OP
L

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Alpine CDE-103BT + Alpine KTP-445

Hey Guys,

Just an update: I just placed my order for the Alpine CDE-103BT and an Alpine KTP-445 "Power Pack".

Does anyone have any experience installing this Alpine Power Pack? Is there going to be enough room behind the H/U?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
if memory serves me right - the 08s have a buttload of room behind them. Been a while since I've been behind the dash on a 08 though!

OP
OP
L

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
OK, so the new head unit and the 4 X 45 "Amp" is en route.

Now I want to replace the 4 door speakers. I know this a subjective question, but who's got their opinion on speakers?

I don't think I want to go with components (don't feel like custom mounting tweeters/crossovers).

I don't want to spend more than 200 for the 2 pairs. Is it wise to think that I should pay a little more for the front door 6X9's, since the back speakers will just "fill" in?

I was considering the Alpine SPR-69C 6X9 2-ways for the front door...haven't looked too much for the rear speakers.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
L

Louie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I hate people who "bump" as much as the next guy but.....

bump :)

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think each person has their own opinion on what speakers sound good, but 200 for all 4 speakers, you wont be getting too high quality there. Just make sure you buy 6.5 for the rear not 5 1/4, it will fit.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well since you bumped I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Now I'm not an audio guru like some guys around here. But I have always been a pioneer fan and I am OCD about cross branding. I went onto craigslist and picked up my headunit and 2 200w pioneer 4 way 6x9's for 150 bucks. If you are going for a quality build I would spend a little more on the fronts since that is what you will be hearing. I have heard great things about Infinity. But I will have to say that the sony's in my car sound really good for the price.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Expensive Pioneer stuff is good, cheap pioneer stuff is junk, I have two walmart pioneers in my front doors and they are the weak link of my system.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^This is true. Mine came from Best Buy or Circuit City. But still sound good except for the bass which I will take care of this spring/summer

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I have had good luck with Polk DB speakers in my doors and Alpine subs in the rear with the kicker amp .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990