8 speed tranny still leaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I couldn't find my original post which showed the tranny weeping oil from approx 800 miles when it was noted. Last time I checked and cleaned the drip around the seal was almost 10k miles ago. Currently almost at 20k miles and just looked under and clearly still see it weeping oil from the tranny main seal.

Originally thought it was perhaps manufacturer residue etc. But clearly not ?

Question, do I attempt them to repair this under warranty or just utilize the 100k engine and tranny warranty that I have should it mess up and loose fluid by then? I'm thinking the leak is so minute that I doubt it'll ever get low to damage the tranny but who knows. Pics I just took now attached below.

Also both my front wheel bearing seals are leaking. I had noticed this at around 8k miles and took pics of the gray colored grease residue around back of both front wheel hubs. Cleaned them up and now whatever grease that was left is covered the hub again. So both front hubs need changing . Funnily still no play in front wheels.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5796db6a6d8b1/20160725_233032.jpg
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5796db9f9cd68/20160725_232059.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be rear main seal. But either way I would worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be rear main seal. But either way I would worry about it.

Ok I guess this forum does not have a "thumbs up or thumbs down, good / bad experience dealerships service dept" feedback section?

Shame as my next question would be, anyone care to recommend a dealership in or around tampa bay area?

Id rather take this route than pot luck for the work that needs to be carried out. thanks.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are going to have a very hard time getting anyone to work in that. I believe the official policy is that if it isn't dripping, it isn't leaking.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are going to have a very hard time getting anyone to work in that. I believe the official policy is that if it isn't dripping, it isn't leaking.

Not trying to argue with you fella so dont take this the wrong way as I know you are trying to help me out and or get my level of expectations in order :roflsquared:

Some pics of it prior to tonights image I posted.

These were taken approx below 1200 miles on odo, originally thought it was manufacturing residue. You know , I for one prefer vehicle to be untouched by mechanics if at all possible and refrain taking in truck for warranty work, I have not even had the R47 recall done yet!

EDIT. I see what you mean, since my latest image from a distance looks like soot and no drip. Aint got closer to look yet.

Attachments

• 20150826_101010_resized.jpg
    20150826_101010_resized.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20150826_101405_resized.jpg
    20150826_101405_resized.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150916_150937_resized.jpg
    20150916_150937_resized.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 96
  • 20150916_151227_resized.jpg
    20150916_151227_resized.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 93
  • e80a8951bce3c927dfd4db92b7de58fe.jpg
    e80a8951bce3c927dfd4db92b7de58fe.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 97

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
That doesn't look like transmission fluid... I would know if I could smell it. If I were you, I'd look up higher and see if it's just some overspray that has slowly moved down to that point as the engine heats up/cools down possibly?

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't look like transmission fluid... I would know if I could smell it. If I were you, I'd look up higher and see if it's just some overspray that has slowly moved down to that point as the engine heats up/cools down possibly?

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk
The one pic that is on the plastic card didn't smell like anything. So unsure hence why I didn't at the time take it in. But still weeping something from that area. ?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You're correct. Last summer, I had a drip forming right where the OP is talking about. Since there was a "drip" I got the rear main seal and oil valley plugs replaced under warranty. It's very nerve racking because they have to drop the transmission on your brand new truck. Anyway, fast forward a year and guess what?....yup the transmission is "wet" at the exact same spot. The dealer this time said that since it's not forming a drip yet they cannot fix it according to Chrysler. I guess I have to wait. Maybe I'll get rid of the truck beforehand anyway.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're correct. Last summer, I had a drip forming right where the OP is talking about. Since there was a "drip" I got the rear main seal and oil valley plugs replaced under warranty. It's very nerve racking because they have to drop the transmission on your brand new truck. Anyway, fast forward a year and guess what?....yup the transmission is "wet" at the exact same spot. The dealer this time said that since it's not forming a drip yet they cannot fix it according to Chrysler. I guess I have to wait. Maybe I'll get rid of the truck beforehand anyway.

Screw that ****... I checked again just now by going right under the tranny and looking didnt see any drips. Leaving it alone.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well booked her in for next Wednesday at dealers. The wide boy rep was already rebuttal all my issues when he asked me what they needed to check. Best take pics with me also.

Unbeknownst to them , the dealer and warranty work is the last resort for me as id sooner live with a small issue than take it in. However, I don't want to end up paying out of pocket when said items fail after warranty ends.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well booked her in for next Wednesday at dealers. The wide boy rep was already rebuttal all my issues when he asked me what they needed to check. Best take pics with me also.

Unbeknownst to them , the dealer and warranty work is the last resort for me as id sooner live with a small issue than take it in. However, I don't want to end up paying out of pocket when said items fail after warranty ends.

It's good sometimes to take it in so it is on record that you reported it, and tried to get it resolved. just in case future issues arise, you have proof. have you tried talking to Ram Cares on this forum, they might be able to help

Luke

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's good sometimes to take it in so it is on record that you reported it, and tried to get it resolved. just in case future issues arise, you have proof. have you tried talking to Ram Cares on this forum, they might be able to help

Luke
Hi,

No I haven't spoke to ram cares, thanks for the advice. I'll use the correct channels first and see how I get along. Primarily front hub bearing seal leak on both wheels and passenger front caliper sticking. Excess brake dust only on that wheel. Got a few pics showing mass amount of grey colored grease at the back of front wheels and oil drip front tranny area. Home link not working 40% of the time. Meaning doesn't acknowledge keys being pressed until truck shuts down and restarted.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are doing exactly the right thing. You do have a leak and it could get worse. Start you documentation now to protect yourself in the future. No matter what they tell you or what reason that is normsl or OK it isn't. Anytime you have fluid pudding in one area that is not weeping or moisture it's a small leak that could get worse. Get it documented at least if they don't want to fix it now and go from there. It looks like engine oil to me but hard to say for sure without being there. It's not leaking enough to cause any damage but it is leaking. My truck is a 14 and it's dry as a bone underneath. I have no residue or weeping of any kind. Good luck hopefully you will actually get a knowledgeable service manager who will try to correct the issue. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked under tranny no drips noted but dark old residue which not sure how it got there as prior I'd always clean up the area with degreaser.
Will still show them the pics. Might be useful if i make claim under my 100k drivetrain warranty in the near future.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For your trans/engine leak, it's hard to tell if it's tranny or engine oil. Both the engine oil and 8 speed fluid have a similar colour. However the 8 speed fluid has a UV dye in it, if you have a UV light and the fluid glows, it's a trans leak. If you keep seeing less and less fluid there it may well just be that residue, but getting it on record is never a bad idea.

As for the front wheel bearings, it just appears as a minute amount of grease may be seeping or moisture sticking there. Some dealers stick hard by the if it's not dripping it's not a leak. Others may be more lenient.

Either way get both things documented, personally I wouldn't worry to much about the front wheel bearings, but if you can get warranty to replace them then by all means.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What is a "wide boy rep"?

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A fat, young, service representative. they call them Wide Boys.

Luke

Sort of, but with wide boy I was refering to bolshy ballsy attitude , know it all.. etc..

Just did another 100 mile round trip, checked transmission and low and behold drip is present again.

So , I believe it is safe to assume its leaking. Now, whether its something to be concerned about or not, dunno. It has been like this since new, but no drips on driveway or such, just on the area depicted. First thought it was perhaps some residue from manufacture. But now at over 20K miles , doubt it.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. They said funnily enough they couldn't locate the leak / drip but added UV to find it later. Thought this tranny already had UV dye? They said the dye is specific for this tranny? Its on invoice LOL, I guess if it breaks then they replace .
Either way least my concern is on the system hopefully it may make a difference should something happen later.

They ordered front new hubs and just the switches for the home link.

And couldn't locate issue with caliper sticking. Although brake dust on the inside of that that rim is much much heavier that other side. Oh well. Hopefully will be alright.

02ebfebbb1b9c2fe1933c0a5ef36bdc6.jpg2013d7ac92910ae7a018ca78232ea05d.jpg4cf7d66dd9c04cc7db05cdab654bede9.jpge70ab1a5984e2c85a7cdb0b36b4a3893.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess what?
I just checked the front wheel hub bearings after approx 18k miles after dealer replacement. Leaking grease like it did from when I bought my RAM. Guess it's normal then!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990