8 speed transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fitz780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate all the stories and information guys. I have since dropped off the truck at the dealership. When they plugged it in the code was from getting stuck in 6th again. Got stuck in 6th last transmission as well. The question about going to a different dealership was said, I talked to multiple dealerships and they all said they could t take it on because I requested a star case for it because I was over them not diagnosing. Truck has been at the dealership a week now, they are expecting another 3 weeks at least. The dealership is ordering a new transmission, transmission thermostat and cooler. I’m going to be getting another Mopar warranty for the transmission but going to try to push them for extended power train for the life of the truck.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
crazy that they will keep throwing transmissions at the problem, rather than diagnosing the source of the problem. I think I would be following WindOne's advise if I was in your shoes.

I have the same truck as you. With Caulk's heater bypass installed in mine, my transmission temp today while towing up some steep grades never reached above 150.
Very simple: dealer is capitalizing on this problem because the manufacturer (or warranty company) is covering parts & labor. So basically they have no incentive in actually fixing the problem.
I can almost assure you that if the dealership was covering the labor for this job, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the stories and information guys. I have since dropped off the truck at the dealership. When they plugged it in the code was from getting stuck in 6th again. Got stuck in 6th last transmission as well. The question about going to a different dealership was said, I talked to multiple dealerships and they all said they could t take it on because I requested a star case for it because I was over them not diagnosing. Truck has been at the dealership a week now, they are expecting another 3 weeks at least. The dealership is ordering a new transmission, transmission thermostat and cooler. I’m going to be getting another Mopar warranty for the transmission but going to try to push them for extended power train for the life of the truck.
Powertrain warranty is basically BS. I would much rather have a 3/36k warranty over a lifetime powertrain.
Why? Powertrain only covers motor/transmission internals. Does not cover anything attached to either motor nor transmission. Doesn’t cover hardware, harness, solenoid etc. etc.

DirtyHarryDeluxe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As to why they're just replacing the unit, it's a procedural/political thing. There is no money (reimbursement) in circumstance (the why). That's what a regional technical service rep would be sent to investigate if the repeat repair history was called into question, which evidently it has not, going off of your post.