Brake controller settings on 3500 Diesel 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Guys

JUST bought a new Ram 3500 diesel that I will be pulling a 5th wheel in a couple of years, until then will be pulling my 24ft Travel Trailer. The truck comes with a brake controller that you can set to LIGHT Heavy etc. and then also has a manual control on the lower side of the dash.

My travel Trailer weights around 5k dual axle with brakes, what should I set the auto setting to? And should I use the manual setting control on the lower part of the dash? Be nice I am a ROOKIE..

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
At around 5000 lbs I'd set the truck to light electric (provided that's what the brake system on the trailer is, not electric over hydraulic). As far as the brake gain goes that's going to be a bit of a guess and check thing for your personal preference/truck. Start at 5.0 or so and see how it feels... if you want less trailer brakes, decrease it. If you want more, increase it.
I pull a 28ft race trailer that weighs around 5000 lbs empty, 9500-10,000 loaded and I think I have my gain set around 7.0.

OP
OP
T

teamam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks so much

Where would the setting of 5 or what ever show up when I manually adjusted. I do not see it anywhere??

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Thanks so much

Where would the setting of 5 or what ever show up when I manually adjusted. I do not see it anywhere??
Check the display on your dashboard, I've got the low end EVIC and when I change the trailer boost it shows there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yepp on your evic. Light electic is for tandem under 10k heavy is over 10k or tri axle. Just hook it up set it around 4-5 and see how it does.

Edit: I will add we have a equpiment trailer grosses at 14k I had it behind my truck total weight around 4500-5000 had it on 5 and hit the brakes they locked up I ran it around 2 worked great. I also pulled a car hauler total weight around 8k and had the controler maxed out at 10 and wanted more, every trailer has different brakes

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

teamam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Awesome stuff guys THANK YOU AGAIN and I am sure I will have more questions later, this Truck has so much stuff feel like I need a Masters Degree to use it all.