Melted resistor wires in heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laura

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everybody. I'm new here. I just bought my truck used three months ago and my heater smells toxic. The mechanic told me my resistor has melted and I need to replace the blower motor, resistor and pigtail, all gonna cost well over $400 just for the parts. He also said it won't fix the smell because the melted wires have to be cleaned off the truck itself or more parts can be replaced that it's melted to. Either way, too much money for me. Is there a way I can do any of this myself? I'm pretty handy. Thanks for your help.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If the mechanic can do it, you sure as hell can too. I see blower motors on ebay for $40. Resistors for $10, wiring harness can be found on junkyards or online for cheap. Heres a video of the blower being replaced in a 3rd gen, not sure if the same. youtube

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The trick isn't changing the parts, it's all the crap you need to disassemble to get to the heater. I do agree though that if a mechanic can do it, so can you, likely just not as quickly.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got out of a gm that had these exact issues. Didn't figure the ram would be the same. Sounds not very common though as it was for gm.

OP
OP
L

Laura

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a bunch Avgas for the video link. I watched it and the one on replacing resistors. There's no way I can't do this myself this weekend. It would be crazy to take it back to the shop.

OP
OP
L

Laura

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sbarron and Damion, thanks as well. I've got this :) Once this problem is solved I'll be back to ask about a squealing fan belt.