2004 ram 3500 cummins 4wd dash light on but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demonized340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Hello all!
I am looking at purchasing a 2004 ram 3500 dually, cummins diesel 2WD.
The 4WD light in the dash came on and dinged, but the truck is 2WD...
The owner says the light has been on since he has owned it.
Is it possible the truck was at one time 4WD, and was converted to 2WD and this is why the 4wd light is on? I'm trying to figure out why this is happening before buying this truck. I have read up on why the 4wd light comes on a 4wd, but i have yet to see any other complaints doing a google search on a 2wd having the 4wd dash light ding and come on... Anyone else ever had this happen? Any suggestions / answers are greatly appreciated.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crawl under the truck and check to see if it is a 4WD.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It'll be pretty apparent if it's actually a 4wd. But that's unlikely. The gauge clusters are the same for 2 and 4wd models, so it's probably a malfunction in the cluster causing the light to come on. If it's on in conjunction with the ABS light, then it could be on due to an ABS problem.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. The only things that cause that light to illuminate on its own are non existent in a 2wd. It would not stop me from buying it if the price is right, but I'd still use it as a bargaining chip.

OP
OP
D

demonized340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Crawl under the truck and check to see if it is a 4WD.

That is the first thing i did after the test drive. ( some of us fleshy viruses still have some common sense. ):roflsquared:

Bigsloth, There is no ABS light on. So i will guess it's a malfunction and removing the battery terminals will / should possibly reset it? I will throw him my offer. Thanks for the replies! :favorites13: