ETC Issues with 05 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meb

Reaction score
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I've got an 05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. It's ran great and I now have about 90K on it and it began missing very occassionally when I accelerate from a stop. I took it in to the dealer and they could not reproduce. Then one day starting at a stop light the truck missed and then clunked to idle speed and totally ignored the throttle with the ETC light lit on the dash. I restarted the truck and it was fine. I was pleased in that I thought we had a good symptom for the dealer to get to the bottom of the problem. The Odometer read P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor 1 Circuit Low, P061C ETC Level 2 RPM Performance, P062C ETC Level 2 MPH Performance. The dealer said the Throttle body was dirty and basically blamed my K&N FIPK. They cleaned TB, replaced plugs and wires and performed fuel induction service. All stuff I thought good since I love the truck and want to keep it as long as I can. However, I did not get back on highway before it missed again. A week later it stalled accelerating and the Malfunction Indicator light came on and blinked. Another trip to the dealer and they simply reprogrammed the PCM. I did not make it down the road 5 miles and the ECT light came on when accelerating and the truck went to idle and ignored the throttle again. This time I got P0339 and the old P061C again. I've read the Hayes manual and it would sound like the ETC sensor might be bad since the engine is developing a nasty habit of ignoring the throttle. However, it also says the ETC sensor is an integral part of the Throttle Position Motor and the sensor is not a servicable item. Does it sound like the throttle position motor must be bad? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The P0339 is a crank sensor, all the others like you have stated is for the TB. You can pick up a ported TB from Fastman for $250 which is bout the same as dealer cost. How old is the battery? The PCMs need a constant 12 volts to keep everything in the truck in check. Just throwing that idea out there. I had to replace my TB after I got cleaner into the circuit part and the truck would randomly die out.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
good point ken , i was thinking bad TB from the get go , but 12v you speak of is a good point . Im still thinking a bad TB . BUT with 90k i dont know , seems like you could get more life out of it .

Safe test ..... go to a pick and pull and get a TB . see what is does , 50 bucks ?
IF it works go get a fastman .

keep us posted , and welcome to RF

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The catch to this question is the crank sensor but that could just be a thing where two things went out together. Deff keep us posted and sorry for not saying welcome. Post up some pics and make yourself at home.

cwboyjohnny24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that the one code is the crank sensor. Maybe your other problem is a bad throttle position sensor. That is a replaceable part.

OP
OP
M

meb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! You all seem to be on it. I kept thinking the ETC indicator on the dash, but I think that was just another symptom of the problem. The time it stalled it did not throw the ETC light. Anyway, I told the service folks to put the truck in park and give the throttle heck and they should be able to reproduce the problem. I guess they got it to fail and they ended up replacing a crankshaft sensor. I've not driven it a lot, but I think they got it right this time. I've been babying the gas pedal for a month and it felt good to finally get into the throttle a little bit and hear the K&N sucking wind in the cabin again!!! I need this thing to be running well so I can start running the 200 mile round trips starting out at 3 am to my favorite duck hunting spot this fall.

One disappointment was that the Malfunction Indicator Light mentioned the catalytic converter may be going bad and I was thinking if so that this may be the perfect opportunity to get the flowmaster exhaust that I've been wanting to justify.

Mark

Last edited: