Solid axle upper ball joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
I have a 2006 HD Diesel that needs the ball joints replaced. I have been researching parts and the upper ones have standard or adjustable ball joints. does anyone have any knowledge of how these work and if they are worth getting? also what are your thoughts on Mevotech ball joints? I was considering the TTX ones for the lowers and Mopar uppers.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you need an alignment for camber you need the adjustable/offset ball joints. Otherwise standard ball joints will be just fine.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
last time I got an alignment I was told that they could not set the camber because the ball joints had too much play. I want to change them myself. I have never delt with an offset ball joint before. would the + - 1.75˚ effect my front U joints any? at 0˚ camber the hub would be 1.75˚ off center front to back. if these trucks were equipped with CV joints I wouldn't worry, but I don't want an "improvement" to cause wear to the rest of my driveline.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The tires would typically wear much faster then the CV would. Its normal to have slight camber in these trucks but - 1.75 is a tad too much. If you got closer to +/- 0.5 a deg you'd be safe depending on the specs. If the negative is cause of the sloppy ball joint I'd just stick with a standard ball joint.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
Before I rotated my tires last my front tires showed some wear on the outside edge. I thought that the toe was off as I had it alined a couple times replacing tie rod ends. The tires on the front now are not showing the same wear. I would think the offset joint could be set to +/- .5, but if it fails it also could swing out to the 1.75. I think I would be better off with the standard joint, just wanted a second opinion.