still no low beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the headlight switch, and it didn't fix my problem of no low beams. I done a search on google and it pulled up on some forums that they have a headlight computer on them???? If so where is it at and how much do they cost or is it something else? Please help

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i dont remember the depth of the previous thread but did you check the relay?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Do you have an HID kit? I know I had to move the pins in mine because they were in the wrong slots for both of my trucks.

OP
OP
henrod

henrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could not find a relay, where are they at. And I do have hids but they have been working for 3 years and my lowbeams just quit and the problem still exists with hallogen bulbs.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
oh hell i just noticed you have a 06. i believe they dont have the relays everything is controlled by the pcm. you may need to contact a dealer on this one.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
'06 have the TIPM controlling the lights.

-'06 Wiring Diagram for the head lights:
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2006/docs/wd/dr/wiringdiagrams/8w50frontlighting.pdf

If the Fogs are added in on top of the existing lighting system (not plugged into the factory fog wiring or running stand-alone) and are not incandescent then a relay is needed or the TIPM can be unhappy.

Modifying the exterior lighting of the 2006 and beyond model year Dodge truck The Dodge truck has been designed and developed using standard incandescent lights. These lights are controlled by a computerized module called the “Totally Integrated Power Module” (TIPM). This module controls the left front, right front, left rear and right rear lighting independently. The TIPM utilizes “smart” technology that has the ability to monitor the current (amp) on some of the lighting outputs. These monitored outputs include the headlamps, turn lamps, stop lamps and reverse lamps. The module is able to detect both electrical short and open circuit conditions. The module has a preset allowable current (amp) operating range for each of these outputs. If while in normal operation the current detected falls outside this preset range, then a fault is set in the module. In the case of too high of current the circuit will be shut off. This fault condition will remain true until the current level falls back into the normal range. In the case of the turn lamp circuits, if the module detects too low of current then the module will assume an open circuit condition (burned out bulb) and the blinker will flash at a double flash rate. This detection is in place to assist the customer in determining if there is an active short in the lighting circuit or a burned out bulb (open circuit).

You can also get into these fault conditions by adding additional lamps to the circuits or by changing the lamp specifications (i.e. changing the type of lamp used). This would include, but is not limited to, the use of L.E.D.’s. By using them you run the risk of causing lighting faults or loss of lighting functionality. The question then becomes, “can you use L.E.D. lighting on the 2006 and beyond Dodge trucks”? The answer is yes, but special care and procedures need to be followed to use L.E.D.s successfully.

Use of L.E.D. lamps in conjunction with the original equipment incandescent lamps:

If you are keeping the original incandescent lamps (or the aftermarket equivalent) and you want to add additional L.E.D. lamps for use as stop, turn, reverse or park lamp function you can do so with no additional changes to the vehicle or its electrical system.

Use of L.E.D. lamps without the original equipment incandescent lamps:

In order to use L.E.D. lamps in place of the original incandescent lamps you must use a resistor that matches the original lamps resistance. For the stop/turn function on the 2007 Dodge truck that would be a 6ohm resistor wired in PARALLEL with the L.E.D. lamps. It is recommended that a 6 ohm 50 watt power resistor be used. Resistors up to 1000 ohms may be used, but make sure you choose the right wattage rating for the size resistor chosen. It should be capable of surviving exterior exposure on the vehicle with consideration for vibration and expected life cycle. As power resistors get hot under normal operation it is suggested that they be placed in an area with adequate ventilation and heat dissipation. It is further suggested that the resistor be located very near the L.E.D. lamp. This is to help with any future service related maintenance or repairs to the lighting circuits or lamps.

Adding additional incandescent lamps to the original equipment incandescent lamps:

Customers sometimes desire to add additional lamps to the exterior lighting circuits. This is possible but requires adding a relay to control the additional lamps. By correctly wiring the relay into the lighting circuit you only add the additional coil resistance of the relay. This will maintain the correct operating current (amp) range of the circuits and no faults will be set.

Below is a sample relay circuit which can be utilized to add additional lamps
**see attachment**

When this type of circuit is used please understand that there is no way for the vehicle to perform any diagnostics on the added lamps.

As a general statement the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) does not provide a large enough current range on the head, turn, stop or reverse lamp circuits to add any additional incandescent lamp loads. It is therefore strongly recommended that the above procedures are followed for modifying the exterior lighting.

Attachments

• light_relay.jpg
    light_relay.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 837
OP
OP
henrod

henrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is helpfull and thanks a lot lilfroger. Where exactly is that module mounted at, is it in the computer on the pass side firewall or is it under the fusebox or somethin?

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a problem with my low beams after i installed hid's on my 06. i put the factory halogen bulbs in and still the low beams wouldn't come on. I remembered they were computer controlled and scanned for codes using my superchips and what do ya know there were codes for both left and right low beams. i cleared them and they came back on. I havent had a problem with them since then. This also happened to my right turn and my reverse lights. Clearing the codes fixed the problem. So try clearing your engine codes. I hope it works for ya.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Here's a bit of trivia. The "multifunction switch" actually terminates different resistance to tell the TIPM what light to turn on. I have not done this but it looks to me if you can manipulate the resistance to run both High and Low beams at the same time.

High Beam only is 550 ohms

Optical Horn is 1300 ohms (Both High/Lows are on)

My thought is to replace or increase the High Beam resistance to 1300 ohms and both Lows and Highs would be on using the trucks own circuits.

Last edited:

tapekar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TA

HI all ! I got a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a left headlight problem, it was flickering first now the low and high beam went out! Could it be the TiIPM ?

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
HI all ! I got a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a left headlight problem, it was flickering first now the low and high beam went out! Could it be the TiIPM ?
Possibly but first remove the headlight and check the connector. Wiggle it around while the headlight switch is on if that doesn't work check for power and ground at the connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk