Which Universal joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so the rear drive shaft started squeaking on my 05' CC, 2500, Hemi 5spd, 4x4. Got it all tore down without to much trouble. Looked at a few parts houses both online and local. I want to run a Spicer sealed joint. The trouble I'm having is the dimensions of the u-joints I pulled out don't match the ones the stores are selling. With old joint in the vise with pretty good pressure on it, the "lockup" measures 4.192". The closest lockup that Spicer lists is the 5-1410x at 4.188". But the joint comes with several different thicknesses of retaining clips, so it could conceivably be "shimmed" to fit. Which seems kind of odd, and imprecise to me. The next closest joint is the Spicer 5-3207x which measures 4.178". Seems to me this one would fit to sloppily and cause a vibration problem. My truck has a one piece (no carrier bearing) AAM driveshaft. Supposedly Dodge used both AAM and Spicer components at that time, and the manufacturer of the driveshaft makes a difference on which joint it takes. Anybody been through this already??

Dylan

OP
OP
D

Dylan Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so it looks like if the Driveline is stamped AAM it takes a 1415 series universal, which is kind of an oddball. Also, according to O'Reilly's and a couple other retail sights, a 1415 series should measure 4.178 on the lockup. However both my old joint and the new one measure 4.192ish. Which is actually closer to the spec for a 1410 of 4.188 (also from O'Reillys, and a couple others) but the 1410 won't fit in my driveshaft because the lockup is to wide (according to my local Driveline guy) So my conclusion is the specs on the retailer's websites for the overall lockup dimensions for these u-joints aren't very precise. Just in case someone finds this thread while trying to determine the correct universals for their truck.

Dylan