46RE idling (half ton)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunDevilJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is idling in park going to kill my transmission or torque converter?

Why do I ask this? Due to the nature of my life, I sometimes idle for up to an hour and a half. I can afford the extra $10-15 a week I waste doing that, so I'm not concerned about that. I also live in Phoenix and I'm not about to sit in my truck and cook for an hour.

So far all I'm seeing is back and forth answers about fluid flow, and whether or not it's ok to idle in park vs neutral.

I'm also fully aware of what extended idling can do to an engine, both gas and diesel.

EDIT: Might I also add that almost all the answers I'm finding are about diesel trucks, warm up and cool down periods, and cylinder wash. Nothing about long periods of idling.

bananahamikthe1st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
I would say your better off idling in neutral with the parking brake on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SunDevilJeeper

SunDevilJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm assuming that idling in neutral had nothing to do with my torque converter starting to take a dump? I've been doing that just to be on the safe side, but now I have a problem with my truck jerking in 4th gear around 70mph, almost like a random hard shift.

Turns out something to do with the converter is going bad. Other things I've noticed is that it takes off really slow, almost like a manual. You have to give it a decent amount of throttle to go, and then it starts taking off.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The TQs are known to go bad, they eventually start sticking and not going into lockup correctly.

Idling in neutral won't hurt anything in the transmission. Idling in park won't really hurt anything either. There is a check valve that prevents fluid from quickly draining from the converter to the pan. The only real issue with idling in park for long periods of time is the heat buildup in the torque converter due to lack of fluid flow.

There are transmission kits that modify the manual lever to allow fluid flow in park.

OP
OP
SunDevilJeeper

SunDevilJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The transgo kit being one of the most popular based on what I've seen on the forums. The check valve delete is something I'm also looking at doing soon.

With all that being said, any recommendations for a good TQ that can handle heavy (for a half ton) towing? Mine is taking a dump, so it's time to replace it.

C.K.V.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U know it's a bit off topic but could someone please help me I am interested in buying a 2002 ram 1500 was that a bad year for there transmissions

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
U know it's a bit off topic but could someone please help me I am interested in buying a 2002 ram 1500 was that a bad year for there transmissions

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You'll need to ask in the 3rd Gen forum, while 02 was technically 2nd Gen, it used 3rd Gen parts.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The transgo kit being one of the most popular based on what I've seen on the forums. The check valve delete is something I'm also looking at doing soon.

With all that being said, any recommendations for a good TQ that can handle heavy (for a half ton) towing? Mine is taking a dump, so it's time to replace it.

Any aftermarket TQ that a transmission shop recommends will do. I've heard of Dacco, pro-king, Alliance, and TCI. Just go with the stock stall speed unless you know you need something different. If you need a non-stock stall speed, you would already know.

OP
OP
SunDevilJeeper

SunDevilJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Any aftermarket TQ that a transmission shop recommends will do. I've heard of Dacco, pro-king, Alliance, and TCI. Just go with the stock stall speed unless you know you need something different. If you need a non-stock stall speed, you would already know.

I'll definitely shop around for those in that case. Manual transmissions are where most of my knowledge is at, automatics are something I'm just now getting around to learning.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
definitely do the check valve delete. I did it on my flatbed, turned out valve was not stuck, my lowered dodge ended up heating up halfway to houston do to that, so I put the check valve from the flatbed on it. When I pulled the old one I couldnt even blow through it in the slightest.