New Diesels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
So, I am about to get my first diesel truck. In the "olden days" diesel engines were left to idle for long periods in order to not cycle them off and on unnecessarily. But in reading this Forum recently, it appears that idling the newer diesel engines is not good for them. I can see an example in my case where I am going to be using my truck for towing a travel trailer, when hooking up before a trip and also when setting up at a campground, that I could be idling the engine for quite a few minutes. So, is it better to stop and start the engine two or three times or just let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes? Thank you!!

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 3500 is in the server department now with regen issues, and we had that discussion. Apparently what’s not good is short trips around town as well as excessive idle time. The “post treatment” system needs highway time to effectively regenerate the DPF. Some idle time is unavoidable, obviously.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 3500 is in the server department now with regen issues, and we had that discussion. Apparently what’s not good is short trips around town as well as excessive idle time. The “post treatment” system needs highway time to effectively regenerate the DPF. Some idle time is unavoidable, obviously.
YUP, even had that issue on MY 15 ED when I had it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can idle it for 10-15 minutes no issue, you can also shut it off and re-start no issue. When people talk about not letting it idle they are talking hours, not minutes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^^ what he said
I'll leave mine idle when hooking or dropping the trailer, 10-15 minutes no problem.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I shut mine off when hooking up, etc. I also do some very short trips.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So, I am about to get my first diesel truck. In the "olden days" diesel engines were left to idle for long periods in order to not cycle them off and on unnecessarily. But in reading this Forum recently, it appears that idling the newer diesel engines is not good for them. I can see an example in my case where I am going to be using my truck for towing a travel trailer, when hooking up before a trip and also when setting up at a campground, that I could be idling the engine for quite a few minutes. So, is it better to stop and start the engine two or three times or just let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes? Thank you!!
If your really worried about it sitting at idle for 10-15 minutes other then for cool down, you either shut it off or use high idle option an set the RPMs to 1000...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357