545RFE vs 68RFE vs 46RE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, so we all know the issues with the 545RFE, some people recommend replacing it with the 68RFE, BUT what about the 46RE?
I just saw where Coperacingtransmissions has a kit to replace the 545 with the 46 or 47, for about $1600 (2wd).
We know these trans have been used in many performance applications for decades and are very durable.
Basically I'm planning ahead, and will run the 545 until it starts giving me trouble.
The 68 swap would be fairly costly, the electronics alone will give me migraines, plus I want to keep my console shift and absolutely HATE the knob shifter!!
I think the 68 might be a bit better on the strip, but my truck isn't going to be a dedicated racer, more a cruiser/show truck with occasional races.
Opinions?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, so we all know the issues with the 545RFE, some people recommend replacing it with the 68RFE, BUT what about the 46RE?
I just saw where Coperacingtransmissions has a kit to replace the 545 with the 46 or 47, for about $1600 (2wd).
We know these trans have been used in many performance applications for decades and are very durable.
Basically I'm planning ahead, and will run the 545 until it starts giving me trouble.
The 68 swap would be fairly costly, the electronics alone will give me migraines, plus I want to keep my console shift and absolutely HATE the knob shifter!!
I think the 68 might be a bit better on the strip, but my truck isn't going to be a dedicated racer, more a cruiser/show truck with occasional races.
Opinions?
Instead of swapping in another 4 or 5 speed,why don't you do the 8 speed swap.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The basic issue is cost. I searched a bit and found that a slightly built 68RFE is a little over $6k, while a slightly built 46 is about $3200 from the same company. We have a pretty good tranny man locally, so I might get that cost down a bit by taking a used trans for him to rebuild. I'm retired now, have some cash set aside for this toy, but don't want to go crazy either. There is a kit for the 46 swap, is there a kit for the 68?
I'm afraid that the electronics would be a HUGE nightmare, but I'm pretty sure I could make a console shifter from a Charger, Challenger, or Durango work.
I've already got almost $4k in mods, I wasn't aware of the 545 issues, or I might have done that first.
Motor is still stock except for Diablo 91 octane tune, I might do the 6.4 intake next year, or wait until the cam gets replaced, and upgrade a little there too.
Those mods should put me at around 450 crank hp. I don't think I will do much more than that.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to make it clear that I haven't decided to do a 47, I'm just doing research to try to find the best fit for me and coming here to verify or deny what I find.
I'm having no luck finding a 545 to 68 swap kit, so I don't yet know what all is involved, I'll keep searching. I'm thinking a stock low mileage 68 might be OK for me.
I also came across a 'site "transmission tuner" that has a lot of info about swaps, (including trans ratios) even using an Allison, although he's mostly relating to diesels.
He says the 68 is better than the 48. He even says the Ford 4R100 is better than the 48RE.
So, I will keep looking, and hopefully when my trans poops the bed I will know what I need, perhaps I can find a deal on a 68 and have it ready to go!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The basic issue is cost. I searched a bit and found that a slightly built 68RFE is a little over $6k, while a slightly built 46 is about $3200 from the same company. We have a pretty good tranny man locally, so I might get that cost down a bit by taking a used trans for him to rebuild. I'm retired now, have some cash set aside for this toy, but don't want to go crazy either. There is a kit for the 46 swap, is there a kit for the 68?
I'm afraid that the electronics would be a HUGE nightmare, but I'm pretty sure I could make a console shifter from a Charger, Challenger, or Durango work.
I've already got almost $4k in mods, I wasn't aware of the 545 issues, or I might have done that first.
Motor is still stock except for Diablo 91 octane tune, I might do the 6.4 intake next year, or wait until the cam gets replaced, and upgrade a little there too.
Those mods should put me at around 450 crank hp. I don't think I will do much more than that.
The 8 speed will be at least a 1/2 second or more quicker then any of the other options you're looking at.Some guys are even claiming upwards of a full second gain at the track by swapping from their built RFE's to a stock 8HP70. That's a gain that's hard to beat

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait, is the 8HP70 different than the 68RFE? I found the 68RFE was made for the diesels and I was going to ask what mods needed to adjust the shift points.
Also, is the 8HP70 from the cars the same?

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wait, is the 8HP70 different than the 68RFE? I found the 68RFE was made for the diesels and I was going to ask what mods needed to adjust the shift points.
Also, is the 8HP70 from the cars the same?
In a 2 wheel drive application,guys have been using the cars 8HP70,but if you're a 4X4 you'll need the 4X4 truck 8 speed.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm 2wd. I see that the car trans has a flange rather than a yoke, since the cars have independent rear suspension, I assume that can be altered to a slip yoke.
I guess my biggest hurdle, and fear, is going to be the electronics.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm 2wd. I see that the car trans has a flange rather than a yoke, since the cars have independent rear suspension, I assume that can be altered to a slip yoke.
I guess my biggest hurdle, and fear, is going to be the electronics.
Read through this thread.Russel at Sound German has solved alot of the issues that are worrying you.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I've been going over that and trying to wrap my head around it.
Thanks again, you've been a very good source of info.