96 ram 1500 5.9 engine tick and noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I don't have very good hearing, but i'm pretty sure I heard two different things going on.

The first video really sounds like a bad bearing, aside from the normal valve noise. I would check everything connected to the serpentine belt. Just get yourself a 3/8in drive ratchet and insert it into the tensioner arm to remove the belt easily. Then spin everything by hand, A/C, alternator, tensioner pully and, water pump. I'm guessing one of those is bad.

The second video sounds a lot like valve noise to me, based on what I can hear of the valve train in the first video you might need to service it.

How many total miles on the truck?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1. 3/8 drive ratchet with a 15mm socket. Pull the belt and check all the pulleys. If you don't find anything or after you fix what you find, if the nose persists, pull valve covers and look for broken ****

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
+1. 3/8 drive ratchet with a 15mm socket. Pull the belt and check all the pulleys. If you don't find anything or after you fix what you find, if the nose persists, pull valve covers and look for broken ****

Yes do this first. One time I had an alernator that was still working properly but started making an awful screeching grinding type of noise.