98 RAM 5.2 crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORANG3SALAMAND3R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Got this truck a couple weeks ago, went to change spark plugs and plug came out but not the threads. So ordered all new rocker arms, push rods, exhaust manifold, heads, head bolts, gaskets, thermostat and some hoses. Go through and replace all of the parts and truck has a crank no start issue with no fuel pump running (unless relay is jumped out), and no spark in any cylinder. Truck was running before I took it apart and rebuilt it. All connectors are hooked back up and all grounds are hooked up, All fuses good. Hooked up an obd2 scanner and scanner cannot make connection. Any help would be much appreciated in getting this piece running.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
OBDII is powered from the cigarette lighter fuse, check to see if that is blown, usually that is what causes OBDII not to work.

In order for the ASD relay to energize allowing spark and fuel injection the PCM must receive a good signal from the Camshaft position sensor, if the Camshaft position sensor is disconnected or off the engine will not start. The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor for all non diesel/V-10 engines.

I would check that first to make sure its properly installed and plugged in.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Cam position and crank sensor work hand in hand

Right, but he shouldn't have had to touch the crankshaft sensor to redo the heads and exhaust, at least from what i've seen of it. Couldn't hurt to check the electrical connector though.

OP
OP
O

ORANG3SALAMAND3R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I did not touch the distributor other than to change the wires, because spark plugs started all of this. both the crank sensor and cam sensor were not touched but I will go through everything again maybe I missed something. The battery was disconnected from the beginning of the repair but once again I will double check everything. Anything I should check after that? thanks in advance, and probably should have added an obd2 scanner had no link connection and the fuel gauge was not working afterwards. I ordered a new ecm and we will see.