Better Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
get a diesel than do these mods, lol. But honestly short of major work you won't be able to do alot better. where about in Idaho are ya? im over here in Spoknae

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I want a tonneau cover (on the todo list). I've heard they can save some gas.

Anyone with a tonneau? Chime in and let us know if it improved your gas mileage.

DukeCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I get like 10 and I have a 1500 but I blame it on the fact that I like driving the truck like how a 17 year old should!

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
my tonneau helped with gas, id say 1-2 better at highway speeds, at 80 i get around 17-18 and 60 im 24+ all day long.... at 70 i average right around 20-21

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my tonneau helped with gas, id say 1-2 better at highway speeds, at 80 i get around 17-18 and 60 im 24+ all day long.... at 70 i average right around 20-21

While a tonneau does help save gas, the savings are very, very minimal. An increase of 2mpg is really a stretch. Studies have proven that at normal highway speed of 65, the fuel savings would only amount to approx 0.5 of a mpg. And it only gets worse at 55-60...the savings are less than a tenth of a mpg.

And before anybody questions my post, read the following article...

The Tonneau Cover Fuel Economy MYTH | Tundra Headquarters

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
oh im not doubting you... i didnt have the truck before the tonneau so i dont know what i came from... just making a assumption

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oh im not doubting you... i didnt have the truck before the tonneau so i dont know what i came from... just making a assumption

OH, I didn't mean it to look like I thought you would. With as expensive as fuel is getting, fuel saving gimmicks are a dime a dozen. Hence, the "tornado"...throttle body spacers, etc...

Pay really close attention to the last paragraph of that article where it says...

Drive your tonneau cover equipped truck at 85mph for 60 minutes a day and you’ll save 0.33 gallons of gas, or about $1.16 per day. We figure that’s only 3 years and 7 months of workday commuting to earn back a $1000 tonneau cover. Of course, during that same period, you’ll spend over $13k on fuel. We feel sorry for anyone that has to drive their truck 85mph for 60 minutes a day — the fuel costs for just three years would be enough to buy a nice toy (ATV, boat, motorcycle, etc.).

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, i had one on my crew cab long box chev, didn't max a single bit of difference with MPG. looked great, but if you want to buy one for MPG, you would be making a mistake.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I spoke with sean (Hemifever) about other mileage mods and he'd suggested electric fans and underdrive pulleys.

After reading up on u/d pulleys I'm pretty sure those won't work for me. Electric fans would be nice (they claim 2 mpg) but at 585 bucks for a nice set you'd have to save a crap load of gas to pay for the mod. They sure look pretty though...and I hate my noisy clutch fan.

Anyone running these mods and seeing a "hand caculated" increase. By hand calculated, you know you are... not just I think I am. :)

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^Go to a salvage yard and get fans from a ford taurus. Cheap mod for around 60 bucks

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
^^^Go to a salvage yard and get fans from a ford taurus. Cheap mod for around 60 bucks

Ford fans draw an incredible amount of amperage compared to aftermarket units and you'd have to fabricate a shroud and mount all your auxillary tanks.

This outfit makes a show quality system but it is NOT cheap.
http://www.tcpperformance.com/2068736.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

idahododgeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey all, been a long time I got caught up in work and school and never got around to the forum as much as I like to. I went ahead and put 3 inch exhaust from my cat's back and ran a 3 inch glass pack and i gained 1.2-1.4 miles per gallon, im getting over 14 consistantly now. OH i also put a K and N on it, this was cheap, easy and i'm happy with the sound, performance and the little boost in mileage helps