HVAC Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I'll admit... I am not much of a HVAC guy. I know just enough about it to get me by but that's about it. I'll get to my problem. My truck has had a history of frying PCMs and yesterday I found out why. The metal hose on the high pressure side of the AC drips water when the AC has been running. The water would collect on a grommet that holds the line to the body and drip onto the wiring harness right as it goes into the PCM. I have done extensive testing and research, as have a few other mechanics in the area, to find out why my truck has been frying every PCM that has ever been put on it. And yesterday I "accidentally" discovered the cause of all these fried PCMs while putting freon in my truck and looking around at the AC lines.

My question is, is this just normal condensation dripping from the line or is it a leak?

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'll admit... I am not much of a HVAC guy. I know just enough about it to get me by but that's about it. I'll get to my problem. My truck has had a history of frying PCMs and yesterday I found out why. The metal hose on the high pressure side of the AC drips water when the AC has been running. The water would collect on a grommet that holds the line to the body and drip onto the wiring harness right as it goes into the PCM. I have done extensive testing and research, as have a few other mechanics in the area, to find out why my truck has been frying every PCM that has ever been put on it. And yesterday I "accidentally" discovered the cause of all these fried PCMs while putting freon in my truck and looking around at the AC lines.

My question is, is this just normal condensation dripping from the line or is it a leak?
Well, this is not based on my knowledge of the truck, but rather AC in general... the high pressure side of the system should be the "hot" side and I wouldn't expect condensation. On the other hand, there shouldn't be water in the system, it's refrigerant. So... that's probably not helpful... but I'm still confused by your situation.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The low line is the only line that should have any condensation on it.

Either way, I'd be figuring out some way to divert the water off the line.