Replacement steering gear and steering column bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
What is a quality replacement steering gear box? I know Redhead and the Borg boxes are quality, but I’m not sure that I want to spring for a Redhead and I’m certainly not springing for a Borg box.

Also, there is some play on the firewall side of the steering column. Is the Rock Solid Ram Steering replacement bushing a good fix or are there other options. I’m not sure I like the idea of removing the spring. The spring must be serving some function and installing the Rock Solid Ram bushing takes away the functionality of the spring. Has anyone installed the Rock Solid bushing years ago that can give any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The 2 boxes posted are the only quality ones lol. Anything with a reman label or from your local parts store is no better than stock, especially the remans

As for the rock solid bushing, i can't say and don't know anybody on here that has it off the top of my head

OP
OP
T

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks! Do you know anything about the PSS reman boxes? They carry a lifetime limited warranty and they claim they polish the shafts and resleeve the housing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks! Do you know anything about the PSS reman boxes? They carry a lifetime limited warranty and they claim they polish the shafts and resleeve the housing.

Still a standard reman. No different than any of the other parts store brands

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Story time, story time! Granted, this truck had an 8" lift and 37's, but an example all the same for reference. I had a customer who bought his Ram 2500 new in 08, had it lifted by my shop less than a week after buying it. 4 years afterwords he brought it to us in 2012, had the front end rebuilt. Tie rods, ball joints, everything. At the same time, we put a reman steering box in from a local distributor. Less than a year later, he brought the truck back to us. Play in the steering. Replaced the steering shaft, and we had the truck back within a week. We did a warranty exchange on the steering box, and he was on his way...for another year. In 2014 he brought us the truck, again, this time pissed. We went through, did a warranty exchange on the reman, again. This time we put in a BD Diesel steering box brace with it.

Guess what happened. We had the truck back in our shop about 2 months ago. Ripped the reman out, put in a Borgeson steering box and shaft. Customer was immediately happy. Said the truck drives better than it did when he first bought it in 2008.

The warranty exchange didn't cost the customer anything, but the labor to swap it out every time did. In labor alone spent to warranty out the reman, he could have purchased the Borgeson back in 2012.

I won't mess around with them. Spend the money right off the bat. No regrets will be made.

OP
OP
T

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
NightMares, any opinion on the Redhead box?

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard great things, no experience on them though. We just sell the Borgeson because we know them well enough to put our name behind them for install.

OP
OP
T

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks for the input.

Anyone else want to comment?

Any help on the column bushing?

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've heard a lot of good on the Redhead boxes. I'm going to get one hopefully soon to replace this junk reman box that is on mine now.

As for the rock solid fix. I did it. It made my steering feel tighter. I'd suggest doing it. Don't be worried about it removing the spring. It functions fine. Their design is held in with, what is essentially a clamp type zip tie. The spring is what dodge used to hold up the stock bushing/keep pressure on it.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I bought a reman from autozone as a temporary solution. That was like six months ago. I'm lowered instead of lifted. So I don't know if that's making it last. Hasn't started leaking or causing problems yet. I picked up a borgeson when I had the money, but it has been in the closet. The rock solid fix works alright, but it's like the steering wheel feels tight while turning. Not bad, but is annoying until you get used to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I bought a reman from autozone as a temporary solution. That was like six months ago. Hasn't started leaking or causing problems yet. I picked up a borgeson when I had the money, but it has been in the closet. The rock solid fix works alright, but it's like the steering wheel feels tight while turning. Not bad, but is annoying until you get used to it.

I bought a reman from o reillys because I thought it was my steering play issue. After replacing literally everything else short of the shaft, I decided to take a lot to see what was moving and what wasn't. Damn box gives me no output for a 1/8 of a turn of the wheel. So I'm going to get a redhead box with a DOR box brace.
I do agree the rock solid fix makes it feel tight at first but I don't even notice it anymore now

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I had that same problem with mine, dude. But it was one of those "right now" situation, and it's all I could afford. I figured it would last a couple months, but it's still holding up for the most part. I've noticed that the reman needs readjusting every two weeks or so due to returning slack. I don't know what the hell that's about. I really didn't like the RSF in the beginning, but now I'm glad I did it.

OP
OP
T

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks for all the info!!!!!