Keeping steering stabilizer with Redhead steering gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, all, I'm going to be replacing my leaky 'n loose factory steering gear with a Redhead unit.

Something I almost forgot regarding the deal is that I have one of those steering stabilizers, which really helped tighten up the steering.

My question is should I bother putting this back on in combination with my Redhead box? The Redhead unit has needle bearings in the spinny stuff that eliminates the "slop" that the factory box is notorious for, meaning it should basically do what my stabilizer is doing right now, making the latter part a redundancy.

I guess I'm just concerned if there's a chance stabilizer could cause any excess wear and tear on the new box, which would certainly be a concern since these boxes aren't what you would call cheap, LOL. Or, maybe the stabilizer would still be beneficial? Or, maybe it just wouldn't make any real difference?

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe Redhead sells a stabilizer as well, which leads me to believe it will work with it.
I've read too many bad things about them, and bought a Blue Top. It's well built, and the stabilizer works with it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank