Tansmssion HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
OK, so I'm new to the site as a member but Ive been on here since before I even got my Ram in Summer '15. Its taken me to long to get around to ask this question but I wanted to try you guys before I dropped 3K on a new transmission. Obviously I got a 46re in the truck, 4x4 but that doesn't really make a difference here. A couple months ago I noticed the transmission would slip on all the shifts and wouldn't shift until close to redline, 3 days later I was driving on the freeway and it was as if I threw it in neutral (I didn't, I was still in Drive), The engine revved up and wouldn't catch a gear. Check Engine Light came on and at that point I rolled the truck over to the shoulder. Had to be towed home. I had to leave for school soon therafter and The Ram has been in the Driveway since. My best bet was that the converter went and the transmission was shot. Just wanting some advice before I drop that kind of coin. If, hopefully, it is something else, cheaper and easier lol. I love my ram and I miss having it on the road :(

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Either a rebuild or replacement. You can try to adjust the bands, or new filter and fluid change but more than likely those wont work.