97 ram 1500 4x4 lift advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4wd and I want to lift it. Suspension lift. Does anyone know what I need? And also tires. I'd like to get those big tires other have for their trucks. All terrain I think. How big should i get them? Sorry I'm new to this. Thanks for any of your help.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are lots of threads so do a search and learn about the subject.

Anything up to about 2.5"-3" Just longer springs and an add a leaf will cut it... Anything up you'll need the longer springs, longer shocks, track bar drop, pitman arm drop, add a leafs or lift leaves for the rear. Anything over a 33" tire will make the front end wear out way quicker then normal. They really werent designed for that. There are people that do run 35's on them, highly recommended you regear the axles to 4.56 to avoid extra drive train stress. Not a good idea to leave stock gears. All-terrain tires arent as aggressive as MT tires, but tread last longer. Cost a bit less to.

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Ill go with a 3 inch suspension lift then. What is a good price for a 3 inch lift kit? Where did you buy your kit? So using 33 tires will be fine right? Without changing the gears or i still have to change the stock gears?

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
What about 31"? Or no?
Yea I did but I wanted to hear from people who have already know about the subject.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
31" is about the same as a 265 IIRC. Gonna look kinda small IMO. Would be perfect for the gears you got. 265's would prob look alright. Look at the pics of my truck as that is what yours would look like with that lift and 285's.

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
That's how i would like my truck to look like! You have a 3 inch suspension lift? Are yours all terrain tires? Sweet truck man! So you recommend a 3 inch lift with 285's?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2.5" lift that came factory with the Offroad Edition Package my truck is equipped with. Thanks man appreciated :) Yes 2.5" with 285 Hercules Trail Digger MT Mud Tires, not all-terrains. I drive very low amounts of KMs so I use mud tires since they wont wear out as quick with the amount of driving I do. Dont buy that rough country kit , it stacks blocks, **** poor way to lift the rear of a truck. That skyjacker kit I linked you would be perfect for your application and youll never be able to tell the difference over a 3" kit. There is no difference suspension wise in a sport or regular. Offroad package, which I have, is lifted 2.5" from the factory. A member here, Okiespaniel, can tell you anything and everything about them.

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Did you change your side view mirrors? Super clean!
Ok! The link you sent me won't load.
Ima look for those tires that you have because they look nice with your truck!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you change your side view mirrors? Super clean!
Ok! The link you sent me won't load.
Ima look for those tires that you have because they look nice with your truck!

Yes I did, I dont tow so I had zero use for the tow mirrors. Go to SUmmit Racing, part # D201K
How much did your tires cost?

I wouldnt buy these tires new, I bought them used for $300 cause I was in a bind. They don't wear well and burn up quick. Lucky to get 20k miles out of a new set... You might have misunderstood what I said, They wear slowly for me because I dont drive far. Ive been using them about a year now and they're all damn near bald. Two had about 20% when I bought them, one had a little more then that and one had about 50%. That one with 50% has about 15% now and the rest are at the wear bars. Ive put 7000 KM's on my truck since I bought it nearly a year and a half ago. If you drive regularly and dont go offroad for very much look for an AT. Alot of time offroad look for an MT.

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Oh! Alright! They looked cool that's why lol
Yea I did mid understand. Ima buy them used when I buy the suspension lift kit.
Hey man thank you so much for all the advice!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh! Alright! They looked cool that's why lol
Yea I did mid understand. Ima buy them used when I buy the suspension lift kit.
Hey man thank you so much for all the advice!

Yeah they work good, just wear bad. One of my friends bought a set brand new in a 35x12.5r20 this time of year last year and theyre nearly at the wear bars. Used tires are very hard to find good deals on lol, or at least in my experience. No prob man, anymore questions please ask! :D

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Yeah they work good, just wear bad. One of my friends bought a set brand new in a 35x12.5r20 this time of year last year and theyre nearly at the wear bars. Used tires are very hard to find good deals on lol, or at least in my experience. No prob man, anymore questions please ask! :D

Yea I can see! I'm trying to find some deals but they are quite expensive ! So you didn't lift your suspension but have your stock right?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea I can see! I'm trying to find some deals but they are quite expensive ! So you didn't lift your suspension but have your stock right?

Check discount tire direct or tread depot for tires online. Mine came from the factory lifted so yes its stock.

By the way, do you recommend putting a side step? Or no?

Up to you.

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
Ok! Thank you very much! Ill will post pictures when I have the truck done! :D

OP
OP
R

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum

Do you think ill need new shocks?