Do all 3rd Gens have 4 wheel ABS? (advice needed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So I'm having some issues with my ABS module and sent it out for repair. The pictures show the male and female connectors of, what I think, are the source of my error codes:
41 - Right Front Isolation Solenoid Open
45 - Left Front Isolation Solenoid Open
51 - Rear Isolation Solenoid Open
52 - Rear Dump Solenoid Open
65 - Internal Main Relay Open

2 of the male connectors (left pic) are completely corroded off into the female portion (right pic) of the connector. Somehow moisture got into the connectors and ultimately deteriorated the connections.

I'm going to do my best to clean up the existing female connector and try to get out the male ends that are stuck inside. It appears from the photo that there is a silver connection that runs from right to left. On the far right side the silver portions are clean and clear - as you move to the left they get progressively worse. Hopefully that just cosmetic.:)

Another forum member recommended splicing in a used (but good working order) female connector but I have a couple of questions.

1. Are all 3rd Gen Rams 4 wheel ABS? Mine is according to my build sheet but I have seen mention of Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) for some models.

2. How sensitive are the electronics associated with ABS? What do I need to be aware of if I elect to splice in a new connector? I have someone available to me that is very proficient at using a soldering gun.

I truly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would splice in a new connector given the current state of that one. All you need to do is solder each wire and heat shrink them and you'll be fine. You should be able to order the connector or you can go to a yard and most will be willing to cut a section of wiring with the complete connector on it.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I would splice in a new connector given the current state of that one. All you need to do is solder each wire and heat shrink them and you'll be fine. You should be able to order the connector or you can go to a yard and most will be willing to cut a section of wiring with the complete connector on it.

Thanks for the advice - another forum member mentioned cutting & splicing as well.

Any idea of a part number or where I can look to find a new connector? My Google and eBay searches have not been successful. Probably not searching for the right part. :hmm:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks for the advice - another forum member mentioned cutting & splicing as well.

Any idea of a part number or where I can look to find a new connector? My Google and eBay searches have not been successful. Probably not searching for the right part. :hmm:

You may be able to buy a new connector set from the dealership that will have about 6" of wire on either side, they have them for some connectors but not all. You can give them your VIN and they can look up the parts that you can't find outside of their system. If they can't get anything for you then go to a junk yard and have them cut out the connector from a wreck with the wires, then you can strip, solder, and shrink wrap.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Dang it - just realized I posted in the 2nd Gen and not 3rd Gen discussions. :Stupid Me:

Can the moderator move this to 3rd Gen, please?

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
You may be able to buy a new connector set from the dealership that will have about 6" of wire on either side, they have them for some connectors but not all. You can give them your VIN and they can look up the parts that you can't find outside of their system. If they can't get anything for you then go to a junk yard and have them cut out the connector from a wreck with the wires, then you can strip, solder, and shrink wrap.

Thanks charonblk07 - I gotta call the dealership anyway for the airbag recall I just got. I'll see what they have in their system on this connector.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

So I stopped by the dealership to ask about just getting a new connector. Could not buy just the connector as its integrated into the entire engine compartment wiring harness. Price = $1900!!!!!! (see attached doc for a pic of the wiring harness the dealer said I had to buy rather than just having a connector to sell)

Also found out from another wrecking yard, that didn't have an 04 in their yard, that the ABS module for 04s was different than any other year so I couldn't just find ANY 3rd gen truck, it has to be an 04.

Fortunately I just found a guy parting out his 04 Ram and has the connector still hooked up to his ABS module. I pick it up Friday for $10!!!!

Cut, splice and shrink wrapping next.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

Attachments

• Dodge Ram wiring harness.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: