Painting suspension parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatramdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Before I install my lift I was planning on painting my coil springs and my leaf springs a bright color. Not really sure what color just yet but do I have too powder coat them or would regular paint work? Would it just chip off?

Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll have to take them somewhere to get powder coated, they will blast them then paint them. It won't flake anymore than the factory coat on them would. Mine have 150K ish miles and they are just starting to show rust (it was in florida up until 2008 ish). I've seen professional paint jobs on suspension and underhood parts go as far as 100K miles in Michigan before showing rust.

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I live in maine and they salt the roads here most of the year so we have to undercoat our vehicles with things like rustolium chasis saver por15 etc. Or they would rust out in a year. I havent seen any chipping or anything on suspension parts on any of my vehicles. Dont get me wrong there not as pretty looking as powder coating but who is looking under your truck lol. I do por15 and my truck is spotless on its underside but its solid black. I cant say the same for my suicide doors they are starting to get rust spots and its ******* me off.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've painted and powdercoated lots of suspension parts over the years and the painted ones always end up looking like crap after a very short period. I just won't use a rattle can on that stuff anymore.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you are painting over factory paint i would probably just scuff things up and paint over it. lately i have been using engine enamel paint for painting things. if done right it seems like it holds up pretty good. if something is rusty i usually run over it with my sandblaster or wire wheel and get the rust off, clean it and hit it with some etching primer and then paint. usually come out looking pretty good and it usually lasts pretty good against the weather

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I live in maine and they salt the roads here most of the year so we have to undercoat our vehicles with things like rustolium chasis saver por15 etc. Or they would rust out in a year. I havent seen any chipping or anything on suspension parts on any of my vehicles. Dont get me wrong there not as pretty looking as powder coating but who is looking under your truck lol. I do por15 and my truck is spotless on its underside but its solid black. I cant say the same for my suicide doors they are starting to get rust spots and its ******* me off.
Hey where do you live? I'm in China. Ya mines starting to rust on the rear doors and the lower rear quarters cause of the **** on the roads, wish we would go to beet juice or whatever it is they use in Canada.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Hey where do you live? I'm in China. Ya mines starting to rust on the rear doors and the lower rear quarters cause of the **** on the roads, wish we would go to beet juice or whatever it is they use in Canada.

they use salt and sand around here in ontario for roads. definitely not doing any vehicles any favors.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
they use salt and sand around here in ontario for roads. definitely not doing any vehicles any favors.
Really? Thought I just read Canada uses something like beet juice instead?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Really? Thought I just read Canada uses something like beet juice instead?

i haven't seen any being used on any of the roads i have traveled. just the standard plow shooting salt and sand accross the road.