Head light switch keeps burning up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BUCKYBEAVERENATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9 12 valve crossover
hello guys and gals,
i have had this 98 ram quad cab 4x4 diesel for 10 yrs and always done all my own work on it, (several head gaskets and heads from hot rodding).
about 6 yrs ago the head lights went "OFF" while driving a country road with the brights on. i got pulled over and put them on normal and they came back on. then i couldnt run my brights anymore because the lights would shut off. this is a re occuring problem, i have replaced the switch and pig tailed the harness 3 times and it doing it again. the directions even told me to drill a 1/4" hole in the a/c duct to blow on the switch, lol.
where do i go from here, i need to "fix" it before i wreck it ! lol

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know there is a way to wire the headlights through relays instead of through the switch. I've been wanting to do it, but I haven't found the thread for it. I saw one somewhere, but I lost it.

But basically, it would wire the lights to be fed through a relay, which is activated by the headlight switch. So, the headlight switch only worries about sending power to the relay, instead of all the headlights. A relay can handle more than the headlight switch. Hopefully somebody can chime in and point out what I'm saying.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
poor headlight grounds will cause this as well, double check your chassis grounds inspect and clean/replace as needed. If its a recurring problem i would use relays as well with a dedicated fused run from the batt to relay/s with 10ga wire

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As others have posted installing relays is the best bet. Lmc makes a harness or you can make up your own. Dodge took a different route when it comes to our headlight wiring, make sure you read the fsm on how its controlled/done.

Doc_USN_retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Would it be possible to ditch the oem switch and use a rocker switch panel for all lights? I used rockers in my 95 4runner and it was an easy set up. Would it require relays or would clipping the harness and connecting to switches do the trick.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
why would you want rockers instead of running the relays? or just using the harness?

Doc_USN_retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Cost. I have rockers , electrical supplies , all I would need is relays, my switch fell apart when I took it out of the dash so there's another 35 added to my repairs. Also, I am saving money to replace the bezel which crumbled in my hands during removal, and entire dash top is gone. Of course these are just my thoughts. The harness and new switch are definitely ideal. If I went the harness route, could I use a sport model kit as I will be buying sport model projectors?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Never run a higher amp light though just the switch always use a relay. Why not just head to your local auto wrecker and get a used headlight switch/dash and the other parts you need.

Doc_USN_retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I live in Southern California. Most yards don't have much of anything definitely not a ram. Relays and switches aren't a hard task. For a personal touch and something to do I will do the switches and take pics along the way. Thanks for the advice/comments