2001 V-10 cab heat issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jedeka

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 and 1997
Engine
408 and 5.2
My girlfriend commented that she wasn't getting hot air from the heater. I didn't ask what the coolant temp gauge was reading. I swapped out thermostats with a 190* Murry brand from O'Reilly Auto. I took the truck out for a test drive and noticed the coolant temp runs between the mark above 130* (150*?) and 210*. This was with a piece of cardboard covering 1/2 of the radiator . I didn't grab my infared heat gun to take with me. Leaving from stop or accelerating after a turn, the vents will blow pretty hot air. At a constant speed, the air from the vents cools off a little. I checked heater hoses and notice one hose I can't keep my hand on very long. The other hose is a tad bit cooler. I'm thinking the heater core is circulating. I have heard that aftermarket thermostats for the V-10 engines are not very good and I needed to install a $100 Mopar thermostat. Any ideas what my next step should be? Thanks for your help.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Coolant level drop slightly over several weeks? Can you smell antifreeze when you first turn on air?

If the heater core has a pinhole leak it will still circulate and first couple seconds you them on the air you may smell antifreeze. Cooling system doesn't quite reach temp or pressure and makes it hard to get all the air out of the system