Finally have heat again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had no heat for just about two years. I would only get a little heat from the passenger side vents so I figured I had the cursed blocked heater core. So, this past Saturday, 16 Sep, I flushed and back flushed the heater core about 3 times and did a complete coolant system flush and fill with the new purplish looking coolant. I was shocked at how much sediment came out of that heater core; I mean wow. After I finished, I can now report my heater now gets hotter that Satan's ***** lol. This Nebraska winter won't get me this year. So happy I didn't have to replace the core, for now anyway.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 years? How the hell could u make it one day in the winter without heat? Wasnt your windshield fogging up like crazy?

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2 years? How the hell could u make it one day in the winter without heat? Wasn't your windshield fogging up like crazy?
Oh yes, it would fog up pretty bad. I'm pretty tolerable to the cold, but the wife not so much. Luckily there was a little heat coming from the passenger vents, otherwise it definitely would have been very unbearable. But, now all is good again. Yay! lol. I saw these inline radiator filters that I thought about putting on the inlet hose to the heater core. Still doing research to compare the pros and cons.

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Keep us posted on your findings !
Oh sorry, yeah so literally all it was, was my heater core was pretty cogged up. I disconnected both heater core hoses from, not the tubes at the firewall but the next clamp down. Then I stuck a water hose nozzle in the inlet hose and ran water through until it was clear. That's when I initially saw loads of debris, which looked like sand, that came out into my bucket. Then I poured some Blue Devil coolant flush I just found at AutoZone. I let that set for 15 minutes. I then did a back flush and wow, that's when a ton of crap came out, like small flakes of that old orange coolant that was in it. I flushed that baby probably 6 times because I'm OCD until I was satisfied it was clean LOL. I then did a whole system flush and clean god knows how many times and of course refilled the entire system. My heat was crazy hot inside after that, and I am very happy and satisfied. I refilled it with the purple 150,000-mile OAT coolant. I'm just super happy I didn't need to replace the heater core. Now my wife will be happy to have heat when she rides with me :)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh sorry, yeah so literally all it was, was my heater core was pretty cogged up. I disconnected both heater core hoses from, not the tubes at the firewall but the next clamp down. Then I stuck a water hose nozzle in the inlet hose and ran water through until it was clear. That's when I initially saw loads of debris, which looked like sand, that came out into my bucket. Then I poured some Blue Devil coolant flush I just found at AutoZone. I let that set for 15 minutes. I then did a back flush and wow, that's when a ton of crap came out, like small flakes of that old orange coolant that was in it. I flushed that baby probably 6 times because I'm OCD until I was satisfied it was clean LOL. I then did a whole system flush and clean god knows how many times and of course refilled the entire system. My heat was crazy hot inside after that, and I am very happy and satisfied. I refilled it with the purple 150,000-mile OAT coolant. I'm just super happy I didn't need to replace the heater core. Now my wife will be happy to have heat when she rides with me :)
Oh i was talking about the filters haaaa, but thanks for all that info! My truck is 7 years and 80k miles and i have been thinking about getting the coolant system flushed recently. Intriguing!

OP
OP
ryanpaulaf1

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh i was talking about the filters haaaa, but thanks for all that info! My truck is 7 years and 80k miles and i have been thinking about getting the coolant system flushed recently. Intriguing!
Oh lord, I see what you meant about filters, the inline filter. Duhr. I swear I'm a hot mess today lol. But indeed, if I pull the trigger on that I'll update with any insight. I'm at 7 years old too with 72,483 miles and she definitely needed a coolant flush. That orange crap the previous owner had in there was hot garbage. There was even a lot, and I mean a lot of buildup of sediment in the bottom of the coolant reservoir that took a hot minute to get out. Looks like new not though. I hate that orange coolant.