5.2 Performance Help??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeordie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have a 1997 ram 1500 5.2L Magnum. I want more power and performance out of it. I currently have true dual exhaust with a magnaflow cat, a super 40 Flomaster muffler, and a K&N cold air intake. If there is any thing I can do to add performance I would be happy to hear your opinions weather they are minor or major changes. thank you!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
OP
OP
D

dodgeordie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Unless the muffler is a di/do muffler and you've got 2 cats, you don't have true duals. ;)

Well both the muffler and cat is di/do...

And thank you for the tips. I'll check in to them. I'll start with the compression test but I'm sure that part is fine.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless the muffler is a di/do muffler and you've got 2 cats, you don't have true duals. ;)

Read this
http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

Plenum
Timing set
SCT tuner
E-fan
Gears
Cam
Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers
Mopar M1 intake

Pick your combination. lol Make sure you do a compression test on the engine first to verify that it's even worth building up.

Pretty much. I'll add...

New plugs/wires
Performance distributor
Fuel system upgrades such as injectors, fpr, good fuel pump
Edelbrock heads
Throttle body mod

If you want to stay mostly stock try a Superchips tuner. It's a piggyback but all I've heard/read are good reviews.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well both the muffler and cat is di/do...

And thank you for the tips. I'll check in to them. I'll start with the compression test but I'm sure that part is fine.

Interesting, never seen a di/do cat on these trucks but that doesn't mean anything. lol
Just make sure you have to proper crossover pipe for the pre-cat O2 sensor.

@Deepfried: new dizzy won't do a DAMN thing in this application. Carb'd, yes, MPFI? Nope.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, never seen a di/do cat on these trucks but that doesn't mean anything. lol
Just make sure you have to proper crossover pipe for the pre-cat O2 sensor.

@Deepfried: new dizzy won't do a DAMN thing in this application. Carb'd, yes, MPFI? Nope.

Touché