5.9 or 5.2 tbi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
Hi guys, the injectors in the tbi on my 5.9, ram 2500 are giving up, as i recently got the truck I can't tell if that tbi is the original one ( the one that came out of the factory) so, my question is
Are the injectors the same for the 5.2 and 5.9 tbi?
Is it posible that the previous owner could've installed a v6 tbi on my truck?
Just want to know so I can order the whole right tbi or just the injectors
Thanks in advance for the info

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the throttle body has nothing to do with the injectors. the TB should be the same for all 3 engines used in the dodge trucks. there was slight changes to the throttle linkage over the years but that is about it. i think the injectors used on the 360 are a tiny bit bigger since it is a bigger engine. even then you may possibly want to look at rebuilt bosch 4 hole injectors if you are going to replace injectors. i think they are suppose to work a tiny bit better. you just need to get the ones with the right injector connectors for your engine. i think you should have the ev1 connector but you want to double check before ordering rebuilt injectors.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
the throttle body has nothing to do with the injectors. the TB should be the same for all 3 engines used in the dodge trucks. there was slight changes to the throttle linkage over the years but that is about it. i think the injectors used on the 360 are a tiny bit bigger since it is a bigger engine. even then you may possibly want to look at rebuilt bosch 4 hole injectors if you are going to replace injectors. i think they are suppose to work a tiny bit better. you just need to get the ones with the right injector connectors for your engine. i think you should have the ev1 connector but you want to double check before ordering rebuilt injectors.

Thanks for the answer but i am a little bit confused, my truck isn't multiport injection, it has the old style fuel system, not carburetor but also not MPI. does it use 8 injectors? one per cylinder?
i think i might be looking for something like this

Attachments

• injector ram.jpg
    injector ram.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if your truck is a 96 it should have MPFI unless someone has messed with it at which point who knows what setup they used on it. they have used MPFI since 93 on the 5.9's. it would be silly to go backward technology wise

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
It is a TBI fuel system, it only uses 2 injectors as far is i know, that is why i want to know if they are the same for the 5.2 and the 5.9, because the injectors are inside the TBI.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
if your truck is a 96 it should have MPFI unless someone has messed with it at which point who knows what setup they used on it. they have used MPFI since 93 on the 5.9's. it would be silly to go backward technology wise

not in mexico my friend, not in mexico... it was sold with the TBI system as the invoice says so.
the mpfi was available but in the laramie models only here in my country

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah unfortunately foreign buyers got screwed with TBI in many trucks. Brazil is another country on that list.

Also unfortunately 99.9% of anybody who knows anything about these things knows nothing about the tbi models. Best bet will be to cross reference replacement part numbers

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well if that is the case then the injectors are different between a 5.2 and 5.9 and you only need 2 injectors. both v8's have the same TB other than injectors.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
well if that is the case then the injectors are different between a 5.2 and 5.9 and you only need 2 injectors. both v8's have the same TB other than injectors.

Can you be sure of that though? The multiport engines run the same throttle body and injectors. I ASSUME that the tbi system used in his is going to likely be the LA setup and those i don't know much about

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Yeah unfortunately foreign buyers got screwed with TBI in many trucks. Brazil is another country on that list.

Also unfortunately 99.9% of anybody who knows anything about these things knows nothing about the tbi models. Best bet will be to cross reference replacement part numbers
i wouldn't say they got screwed. the TBI setup is pretty reliable and simple to work on compared to MPFI. ya the MPFI is a bit more powerful but does that really matter much in a foreign country. i think reliability is the biggest thing.

as far as injectors go you are probably best to look them up for a 88-91 truck or van

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Can you be sure of that though? The multiport engines run the same throttle body and injectors. I ASSUME that the tbi system used in his is going to likely be the LA setup and those i don't know much about
i am pretty sure the 5.9's had bigger injectors since they had to feed the beast more fuel than the 5.2's but they might have the same injectors. a few more injectors show up on rockauto for the 5.2's than the 5.9's but there are a few that are the same but some are engine code dependant

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
The weird thing is that the truck is made in mexico and, as far as i know, almost all the dodge rams in the world are made in mexico too, maybe i am wrong but, at least the newer models are made in my country as well as the engines, even the viper engine is made here in mexico. if they are already making mpfi for the us why not for us?
pff!

here is the vin, maybe you guys can help me with this info

3B7HC2672TM111967

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know if i would be much help with that. i have a feeling that vin may also have a mexican twist to it also since 7 doesn't have an engine option in 96.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode.htm

might be best to pop the top and see about pulling parts numbers off the injectors.

i know my 93 MPFI RC was made in mexico

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
i don't know if i would be much help with that. i have a feeling that vin may also have a mexican twist to it also since 7 doesn't have an engine option in 96.
How to read the vehicle identification number VIN on your Ram truck

might be best to pop the top and see about pulling parts numbers off the injectors.

i know my 93 MPFI RC was made in mexico
But if i do that and take the part to a store they might give me the same part but I won't know if it's the correct one for the 5.9 b cause I don't know if the tbi is the stock one and i am running with less power than I should

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if your that worried about it you could try finding a shop that would rebuild them. really not much to them.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
Found these on e bay, but won't to buy them until I am sure are the correct ones

Attachments

• IMG_4547.jpg
    IMG_4547.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 33

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The 5.2 and 5.9 injectors are different, at least the ones between my two of the same year were different. The 5.9 injectors on mine are ever so slightly wider than the 5.2 injectors. Enough that they wouldn't fit into the 5.2 rail. The 5.2s were black, the 5.9s red. Same connector though.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
The 5.2 and 5.9 injectors are different, at least the ones between my two of the same year were different. The 5.9 injectors on mine are ever so slightly wider than the 5.2 injectors. Enough that they wouldn't fit into the 5.2 rail. The 5.2s were black, the 5.9s red. Same connector though.

Thanks for the info, don´t know why that eBay ad says are the same.
if what you say is true, the 5.2 injectors would fit on the 5.9 TBI, but not viceversa. then i will just have to find out if mine are 5.9ers or 5.2s

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

2000 model year correct? Somebody swapped the 5.2s injectors at some point. 318 vs 360 the injectors are the same. 94-99 they're black with the EVI connector and 2000+ they're the red EV6/USCAR connector

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9

Just realize you said "rail" in your post, my truck is not mpfi, so there is no rail, i have a EFI system that uses TBI, although it is a 1996 didnt come with mpfi, so i guess the ad on ebay is correct, 5.2 and 5.9 are the same