5.9 Into a Ram with Manual Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I know I ask alott a questions but I have alotta projects :)
Sooooo, instead of taking the 5.9 out of my durango and putting it in the 95 ram Ive decided to just do some mods to the ram, thus leaving me with a 2001 Durango. I am not a fan at all of durangos. But, I am a fan of the 5.9 magnum thats in mine. I found a couple single cab ram V6's with the manual tranny with blown motors etc etc. I can get these for under a grand... What kind of issues with the ECU etc etc will I run into dropping this motor in front of the V6 Trannies? I cant seem to find a v8 that had a Manual, did they make them? How stout are the 5 speeds? Would I be better off just sticking to the auto?

Cheers

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The NV3500 that was behind the V6s was different than the one behind the 5.2 V8 if I'm remembering right.

Here is where the water gets muddy in that regard: there are guys running NV3500s with 5.2s that make more power than a stock 360. However, I feel that once you've modified your 360, you're going to grenade that NV3500 sooner rather than later.

Fun thing about the PCM is that it will be VERY pissed off to not find a transmission there, so you're PCM would need to be reflashed with regards to the manual trans.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Dude bro.... Good thing you never sleep lol. Yeah I kinda figured Id probably destroy a tranny considering most all the trucks ive been looking at with the v6/manual combo already have tranny issues. So, my plan was to build the tranny 1st then drop the 5.9 in. However it seems like thats a really good way to throw tons of money at something, just to have a stick shift lol. Ive just never driven a standard dodge anything lol. I did have a v6 1500 LWB. I loved that truck....Until I had to drive it up hill, merge into traffic, pass someone, pull anything, pick up a fat girl....Oh wait wait that last part never happened. Hopefully I can find someone whos done the swap before I attempt it. If I get enough negative feedback, Ill just yank the motor/tranny, build them, and then put them in a ram body that had auto... I guess....Dammit

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I do sleep, just between paint coats. ;)

A lot of Dodge manual transmission problems (minus the mystical 5 gear nut on the NV4500) are usually related to lack of maintence. A 4500 would be the way to go, easy (lol, it's a Dodge) installation for the most part. As for doing a body swap, you look like you've got a fairly nice truck. I say build up what you've got.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
. As for doing a body swap, you look like you've got a fairly nice truck. I say build up what you've got.

Yeah the 95 is nice, Im building that one as we speak. Its this 5.9 in the durango I wanna do something with. I cant stand the durango for some reason. But its got a motor/tranny with only 109k on them. And Id just like to have a Manual tranny.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah the 95 is nice, Im building that one as we speak. Its this 5.9 in the durango I wanna do something with. I cant stand the durango for some reason. But its got a motor/tranny with only 109k on them. And Id just like to have a Manual tranny.

Cut the body up and make it a play toy? :party36: