2nd gen tranny in a 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LillyC03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 03 2500 with the 5.7 in it and a couple months ago it started breaking flywheels. Concluded the motor needs crank shims after putting a used crank into it from it spinning a bearing after a rebuild. It was also stalling all the time so needs a torque converter. But I recently got offered a 2nd gen with a 5.9 for cheap, he said the motor and tranny are strong only issue is the frame busted. Would swapping the transmission work? What all would need to be replaced/changed as a result of the generational difference? Or would it just be better to replace the torque converter and get shims then figure out whatever else is going on? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2nd gen rams didnt have the 5.7 they had the 5.9 so it would be completely diffrent your better off just getting a used trans from a 3rd gen they are not that expensive look on craigslist or facebook.

ramman95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4
What your asking is if you can swap out your 545RFE to and older trans such as a 46RE. It can be done and has been done by many who race their 3rd Gens because the the 46RE can be built to handle more power. Its not cheap and I don't think it's what you're looking for but check out Cope Racing Transmissions, he specializes in that. If you look at the kits he offers you can get an idea of what is required to do the swap. https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?product_cat=545rfe-to-46re-swap