5.9 Magnum Air-Box Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey Fellas,

I'm having a bit of an issue replacing the airbox on my 01 1500 Off Road. I pulled up the parts manual and found that for my 5.9 magnum, the part number for the airbox body(lower section) is 04897529aa, and the part number for the upper section(cover) is 05018218aa.

This issue is with where the hoses attach to the box.
As you can see, there is a nipple on the passenger side on my current airbox and no nipple on the driver rear side. On the driver's side, the pcv valve hose goes into the manifold, and not into the airbox on my truck.
20140630_150311_zps0d1cfd58.jpg

Crankcase vent hose on passenger side
20140708_081216_zps8610c6b9.jpg

When looking at the parts manual, the airbox shown in the diagram has a nipple on the driver rear, as well as another hose attaching just above the throttle body.
Aircleanerdiagram_zps1c35ebb0.jpg

In looking on ebay, and the limited places that sell airboxes for these old trucks, none seem to be like mine. I don't know where to find a replacement at this point, but this one is all cracked and the PO decided to just duct tape it which i don't like.

Any ideas boys?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Dodge offered two variants of air boxes and pcv locations, some years the pcv was on the pass side other years it was on the drivers side like yours. PCV always goes to the intake, crankcase ventilation hose goes to the air box. Get the used air box and just switch the pcv and the vent hose location around on the valve-covers.

OP
OP
Skeptic68W

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dodge offered two variants of air boxes and pcv locations, some years the pcv was on the pass side other years it was on the drivers side like yours. PCV always goes to the intake, crankcase ventilation hose goes to the air box. Get the used air box and just switch the pcv and the vent hose location around on the valve-covers.

So it doesn't matter which side is which then? Cool.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Or you could just get a longer hose like mine has. I have the PCV on the passenger side and the breather on the drivers, my air box has the breather nipple on the passenger side. Why? Dunno. But it works.

BTW, the picture you posted is for a truck with the air injection system for the cats.