97 2500 5.9 v8 no start after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hi all. I hate that i have to make this post but this pile of **** is still giving me problems.

97 ram 2500 5.9 v8. Let me give you all a quick rundown.

Truck ran kinda poorly and had 228k on it. Burned 3 quarts a week even with plenum fixed, so i picked up the 5.9 v8 out of a 1995 and put in all new gaskets/seals, lapped valves, tchain, etc. I stripped it down to having only the pistons, crank, lifters and cam in the block and i built up from there.

The truck ran before the swap but had a reoccuring intermetent misfire that i couldnt seem to track down. Plus, heavy oil fouling on cyl 8. But it started and ran without a hitch every single time.

So i did the swap, kept the crank position sensor, distributor (including cam pos sensor) and flexplate off the 97 as well as the intake and exhaust manifolds. Everything bolted right together.

Drop the motor in, reconnect every single wire and ground, crank. No start. No spark. Trace coil driver wire to pcm and backprobe, no power leaving PCM there. BackProbe injector driver, no power. BackProbe random 5V supply, no power. I checked both PCM grounds and the Fused B+ that enters the PCM. I had 12V in and good grounds, including every engine to harness ground, and engine to body grounds. All of them are good.

Also, Mopar DRBIII scan tool could not communicate with pcm. Actron scan tool told me there was a link error.

Strange, but all signs pointed to pcm if i had power in but no power out. Reman Pcm from automodulesource came in the mail today and i installed it. Still no start, it doesnt even try to fire. Actron scan tool still reads "link error".

It started raining so i didnt get a chance to see if ive got power out or anything.

What the f_ck else is there to check? Im starting to get really frustrated here. Im leaving for college in 11 days and this truck needs to come with me.

Thanks all.

EDIT: UPDATE. Got good power and grounds going into PCM. Scan tool still says link error. Still no power out. 30 amp engine control fuse is good. WTF

EDIT 2: After some research, it sounds to me like my problem centers around the ASD. I swapped the relay with the starter relay and still nothing. I have 12V into the relay, and im going to pull up the PDC tomorrow and see if im getting power out, even though ive swapped the relay. Will report back with results.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What are you using for an ECU? The '95 engines used OBD 1 whereas your former '97 is OBD 2. The two will not interchange without doing a bunch of crap that is totally not worth the trouble, LOL.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
What are you using for an ECU? The '95 engines used OBD 1 whereas your former '97 is OBD 2. The two will not interchange without doing a bunch of crap that is totally not worth the trouble, LOL.
I had the ECU out of the 97, and now the brand new one meant for a 97 as well. All i swapped was hard parts, every single electronic part on the engine belongs to the 1997.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Power in, no power out sounds like a short to me. When you turn the power on, does the gauge cluster seem to work fine, or does it go into a "No Bus" condition?