Best Budget Build Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I know of two people that have had clearance problems with the front DS and long tube headers, one took the headers off and got his money back the other did some mods to his motor mounts and a hammer to the headers pipes.

Find a set of shorties that have no smaller than 1.5 primary tubes, make sure the header flange to the block is thick no skinny ass 3/8 flanges.

JBA, Gibson, Spintech are some header brands you could look at, if you can find a set of Doug Thorley tri Y headers they are about the best for our motors.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Oh **** missed that, sorry.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
*Aren't true duals with no cats bad for low end due to the lack of back pressure? Or is that a myth?*

That is one of the most common myths around today. I worked with some guys in a machine shop/race shop for several years, and the dyno runs that yielded the highest horsepower AND torque figures on nearly every vehicle were the ones made with just headers and a length of exhaust pipe, with no mufflers or cats. Working in the shop was where I learned about scavenging effect, and how pipe diameter and back pressure affect this. With the right pipe diameter, header, and no back pressure, the speeding up of each exhaust pulse as it enters the exhaust pipe from the header collector actually creates a slight negative pressure zone directly behind it, which in turn tends to pull on the gasses behind it. If you use any sort of y pipe, or device that merges the exhaust streams, you slow down the flow and kill this scavenging effect which can actually help pull exhaust gasses from the cylinder with each exhaust stroke of the piston. Think of how traffic backs up when a road that has 2 lanes going in the same direction is merged into 1 lane due to construction.
Anyone who has seen me using my Ram to tow a tractor, pull fallen trees around, or pull stumps out of the ground would attest to the fact that the open exhaust gives me great low end.
Dave

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
*Aren't true duals with no cats bad for low end due to the lack of back pressure? Or is that a myth?*

That is one of the most common myths around today. I worked with some guys in a machine shop/race shop for several years, and the dyno runs that yielded the highest horsepower AND torque figures on nearly every vehicle were the ones made with just headers and a length of exhaust pipe, with no mufflers or cats. Working in the shop was where I learned about scavenging effect, and how pipe diameter and back pressure affect this. With the right pipe diameter, header, and no back pressure, the speeding up of each exhaust pulse as it enters the exhaust pipe from the header collector actually creates a slight negative pressure zone directly behind it, which in turn tends to pull on the gasses behind it. If you use any sort of y pipe, or device that merges the exhaust streams, you slow down the flow and kill this scavenging effect which can actually help pull exhaust gasses from the cylinder with each exhaust stroke of the piston. Think of how traffic backs up when a road that has 2 lanes going in the same direction is merged into 1 lane due to construction.
Anyone who has seen me using my Ram to tow a tractor, pull fallen trees around, or pull stumps out of the ground would attest to the fact that the open exhaust gives me great low end.
Dave
I want pictures of your ram air setup.

That is all. :D

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
You know what's funny? I'm actually a photographer by trade, and I hardly ever take pictures of anything I have/do, or my family. I should take one of my setup though. It's actually a pretty easy setup. I took a length of heavy duty 3" flexible plastic hose (for a large industrial vacuum) and attached it to the underside of the front bumper facing directly forward, and then cut a corresponding hole in the stock CAI where it joins the air filter box and attached the other end here. I did leave the stock intake hose attached to the fender for a reason... when going through deep water, if the ram air hose should become submerged, it will pull air from the fender intake rather than sucking water into the engine through the submerged inlet. (water being heavier than air) But during normal driving, the faster you go, the more cool air is pushed into the airbox. It seems to work well, if you hold your hand in front of the intake hose under the bumper, you can feel it pulling air. I eventually want to get the functional ram air hood that seals the hood scoops to an aftermarket air box mounted on the throttle body. It's a good looking hood with Challenger style scoops, and it sounds cool cause you can hear the hissing of the intake air that gets louder when you step on the gas. But so far, I haven't had the extra cash lying about for that.
Dave

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know what's funny? I'm actually a photographer by trade, and I hardly ever take pictures of anything I have/do, or my family. I should take one of my setup though. It's actually a pretty easy setup. I took a length of heavy duty 3" flexible plastic hose (for a large industrial vacuum) and attached it to the underside of the front bumper facing directly forward, and then cut a corresponding hole in the stock CAI where it joins the air filter box and attached the other end here. I did leave the stock intake hose attached to the fender for a reason... when going through deep water, if the ram air hose should become submerged, it will pull air from the fender intake rather than sucking water into the engine through the submerged inlet. (water being heavier than air) But during normal driving, the faster you go, the more cool air is pushed into the airbox. It seems to work well, if you hold your hand in front of the intake hose under the bumper, you can feel it pulling air. I eventually want to get the functional ram air hood that seals the hood scoops to an aftermarket air box mounted on the throttle body. It's a good looking hood with Challenger style scoops, and it sounds cool cause you can hear the hissing of the intake air that gets louder when you step on the gas. But so far, I haven't had the extra cash lying about for that.
Dave

Pics or it doesn't exist.