Climate Control/Fuel pump issues/Looking for Gen advice from the veterans! Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluebaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Hello,

I am needing to do some maintenance on my old 97 dodge ram (my first car!) Its a 4x4, 5.9L Gas 1500 with 230k

I am going to tackle the climate control issue. My selector knob for airflow direction has zero affect on where the airflow goes! It just comes out of the top vents near the window.

What/where do I replace for this? Also, I often smell coolant in my cabin (slight) when I am driving for the first few miles. There must be a leak. Do you have any suggestions of where to look, common parts I should just replace?

Spin off of those last two: Could you guys direct me to some good websites to buy parts for my truck? I need a new dash, if there anywhere the sells a good one. If not, ill go to a yard.

Finally, my fuel pump just went out again after changing it two years ago. Other than making sure the voltage is correct to the fuel pump, is there anything else I can check/consider to make sure there is not something causing them to go out?

Thanks!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

I would google "Dodge Ram wild vents" and you'll get a book load of advice on what to look for. Vacum lines or bad check valves are places to start.

Your heater core is starting/is leaking. It will only get worse. Since you have to drop the HVAC unit down to remove the core, it make your first issue easy to trace. Again, there is a ton of info and video on the web.

For dash parts, places like ebay or LMC truck parts are good sources. LMC isn't cheap but it is American labor. I also buy stuff from RockAuto.

Can't help you on the fuel pump issue...except don't buy based on price alone. Cheap pumps don't last.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okiespaniel pretty much summed it up, only thing I can add is that it is always better to ante up and buy either a factory fuel pump or very good/expensive one at the auto parts store. The reason I say that is for the Ford boys the Motorcraft products they sell at Napa, Advance, and Autozone are all actually Motorcraft parts but they dont meet Ford requirements/spec and so the manufacture sells the parts to other retailers. Same thing goes with all manufactures and parts.

Also where are you located, I have a 97 Dash located in Virginia from my old truck but havent had the time to transport it down here to Alabama yet. Even though my truck just developed a crack in the very middle of the dash (most likely due to the extreme death wobble I had) I think I can fix it. So I got an extra dash but cant ship it due to bulk of it so if you arent to far out of the way I can deliver it if you are close to any of the routes I normally take.

OP
OP
B

Bluebaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Hey, thanks for the help guys! It certainly pointed me in the right direction. Oh, and about the dash in Virginia, I wish my friend! I am in California, though! I will probably buy this LMC one made out of a better plastic.

Regarding the "Wild Vents":

I figured there was just some central valve that directed airflow; obviously it is more complicated, though. I was reading I need to check a few check valves, I even found the diagrams here:

http://www.ramforum.com/f64/wild_vents-1255/

I will go through and look at them. Does anyone know how many there are total off the top of their head? I could probably find that answer in that thread above. I will probably replace them all and will probably replace the vacuum lines as well.

Few more questions:

I have some old dodge service manuals for my truck. They are great, but when I got them they were in horrible condition. Any place to buy newer service manuals? What do you guys suggest?

Also, the truck has 230k+ miles on it. Anything that I should become very cautious of now? Preventative maintenance that anyone suggests? For instance, im on the original radiator. Should I replace it ahead of a break? What radiator would you guys suggest?

Timing chain, when do I need to mess with that?

Let me know what you think as far as something I should consider replacing with my spare time/money in the coming months. I want this truck to last me forever, honestly. lol

Thanks guys!

Jon

OP
OP
B

Bluebaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Welcome to RF!

I would google "Dodge Ram wild vents" and you'll get a book load of advice on what to look for. Vacum lines or bad check valves are places to start.

Your heater core is starting/is leaking. It will only get worse. Since you have to drop the HVAC unit down to remove the core, it make your first issue easy to trace. Again, there is a ton of info and video on the web.

For dash parts, places like ebay or LMC truck parts are good sources. LMC isn't cheap but it is American labor. I also buy stuff from RockAuto.

Can't help you on the fuel pump issue...except don't buy based on price alone. Cheap pumps don't last.

Sir,

I just wanted to let you know, that all this was was a vacuum line! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It works great now!

Also, I bought the LMC dash that they make themselves. I am looking forward to installing the more durable part!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As far as the timing chain, I would advise to inspect it first then if need be to replace it, Mine had 218k on it last when I inspected it, not much play at all.

For the radiator I would suggest an Autozone/Advance life time warranty one. They are good about the warranty as I have tested with one having an issue that really wasnt even the radiators problem.

Old service manuals I would advise possibly Ebay but other than that I am out of suggestions, always done my own work without the manual and used AllData or old notes from hot rodding for spec look up.

I would create and stick with a preventative maintenance plan. Inspect the trans fluid (if automatic) and if it looks clean just maintain the level. Dont forget the differential fluids and transfer case. Maintain the levels and always remember or make note of what fluid you use to service them with. I suggest full synthetic after you are sure you sealed everything as good as its going to get. After that start saving up for a good track bar, possible steering upgrade and shocks if you plan to run bigger tires/wheels.