crank sensor????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9. I just rebuilt the trans and put it back in and pinched a three wire bundle in the seam between the trans and the engine. I assume it is the crank sensor wires, however. these wires go out through a hole in the trans bell housing and the sensor is inside the space between the engine and trans. everything I have seen on the internet shows the sensor outside on the side of the engine. about an inch or so farther down the bellhousing there is a two wire sensor mounted and can be removed from outside the engine. it runs up to the wiring harness and goes into the harness with no plug. what is that? I cant find anything on this other sensor, and why is my crank sensor inside the space between engine and trans?

OP
OP
J

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured the three wire was the crank sensor, but everything I have found says its removable from the outside of the engine without pulling trans. this is mounted inside the trans and engine gap. and what is the other two wire bundle coming out of the same area about an inch or two lower that goes directly into the wire harness without a plug?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2wires for crank sensor is at about 10 o'clock position if looking from the grille area. It goes into the bell housing, there's a notch cut there. Shouldn't be anything else there

OP
OP
J

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sensor wires that go through the notch is three, about an inch or so down counter clockwise is a two wire sensor that goes into block and wires run up into wiring harness with no plug. what im trying to find out is what is the two wire sensor?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hate to say but you're better off taking a picture because only the crank sensor is back there. No other sensors in that area. Closes one would be Oil Pressure sender and it's vertical up by the back of the intake manifold